New to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jredmartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm Jredmartin and new to this forum. Im a Hospital Maintenance/Safety/Security Director for a small local critical access hospital. I live in a small west Texas town close to the edge of the Chihuahua Desert. It's usually hot and dry here and aquariums bring a little aquatic escape from the dry terrain since there are no streams or watering holes around this area.

I am getting back into aquariums after being out for many years. In my younger age I kept several aquariums as a teenager and bred green swordtails. Later having to sell everything off to go to college. Now years later with a wife and 3 children Im getting back into the aquarium world because my children want pets but due to rental restrictions we cant have dogs on the property. Sorry cat lovers- Im not trying to be tacky - but I cant stand cats and cats dont like me (besides they dont last long here in the desert due to the coyotes, cougars, and bobcats and I will not have one in the house -they stink things up too much!) - So cats are out but aquariums and tropical fish are in. And the aquarium brings in a little moisture to the normally arid air.

I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank filled with RO water (municipal and well water here is way too hard - rating over 360 + gpg hardness). I run a Marineland - Penguin Bio-wheel 350 with the refillable media cartriges and a 1" filter floss material instead of the standard size C carbon cartriges. I run the marineland carbon/zeolite blend media in one filter frame and SERA super peat in the other filter frame. A tetra heater, a yeast/sugar powered CO2 reactor for the live plants and a 12 inch air bubble bar. I have 11 neon tetras, 10 glowlite tetras, 9 zebra dainos, 2 peppered corydoras, 1 plecostumus (please forgive me if I spelled any of these wrong). As far as the live plants: Water Lilly's, Aquatic Onions, Apogenoton, and some kind of purpleish-green leafy plant that looks more like a tree limb that I cant remember the name of right now planted in a mix of Florite and pecos pit gravel rock (a mix of stone between large pea size to golf ball size rocks native to this area) for the substrate. I also run a Marineland H.O.T. magnum with a micron filter (occassionally) to help clear up the water after things get stirred up after a tank cleaning and partial fresh water changeouts. The old water is reused in the potted house plants and in the flowerbeds around the outside of house.

I also have a small 5 gallon tank kit used as a hospital tank/nursery that was a purchase from a nearby town's Wallmart christmas special sale for the kids christmas present. Usually we dont keep anything in it unless I'm attempting to breed a pair or nursing one back to health. This is the tank we used to get us started back into aquariums, soon afterward I was given 2 - 30 gallon tanks and hoods by a neighbor who had upgraded to a 120 gallon tank at her house. Im only using 1 of the 2 - 30 gallons since the house is small and no room for a second anywhere in the house. (Besides my wife would have a fit if I tried bringing it in from the garage. But I would love to have the room for a 150 gallon tank stocked with some kind of catfish or balashark.)

I am considdering building a 150 gallon insulated plywood/fiberglass tank for the back porch to experiment with. I just have to figure out how to keep the local wildlife out of it if I do build it.

Welcome to the site :wave: Cories actually like to be in somewhat larger groups (5+), so maybe you could think about adding 3-4 more. Also what kind of pleco is it? If its a common pleco it might outgrow the tank. Good luck with the 150g. That sounds like it would make an awesome build thread :D lol.

I am looking for more peppered corys but I havent found any that look healty enough to buy. Especially at $3.00 a peice around here. I have been fortunate enough to get a male and female pair. They have been breeding and laying eggs every week or two in the community tank. I havent been able to put them in the nursery tank yet because I really dont have the supplies to care for the fry yet. Supplies are comming within the next paycheck or two though. And I think that the nursery tank is infected with those little worms that attack the eggs. I tried letting the zebras breed a few weeks ago and two day later all the eggs were dead and little worms were all over the tank. I am working on sterilizing the tank now. Then I have to go back through the whole setup breaking in phase again.

The pleco is a common one. When I bought him the label was misprinted on the tank he was in but I didnt realize it at the time. (It's been a while since I was into aquariums/tropical fish, I'm having to re-learn everything I've forgotten about them.) The label said that it grew to about 2" so I bought him. After I got him home I researched him online and discovered the label should have read 2'. (a RE-Learning experience!) He was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch back in Januarary when I got him - now 8 months later he around 8" long and still growing. I want to get him into a bigger tank soon but I have no where to take him to yet. The pet store in the larger town 30 miles north of us wont take him because they cant resell him because "he's too big". Although, For a strange looking fish he's (I call him a he - it could be a she???) a good looking one.

If I can get the materials together soon enough I may be able to get the 150 gallon plywood/fiberglass project done before he outgrows the 30 gallon. But this depends on budget and supply costs. I would like to keep him to see exactly how big he gets. I really dont want to get rid of him.

i previously had oly 3 julii cories and they werent that active, but when i had a total of 6, these guys just cant stop moving, they stay together about 99.9% of the time, so i would suggest 6+ for a group of cories =] i am also going to choose what group to add next, either albino, peppered or panda cories ^_^ most likely panda because peppered looks very similar to julii's

i am currently uploading a vid on youtube showing how they play with the air bubbles ^_^ vid will be posted tomorrow, also welcome to AA ^_^

Is there a location in this forum site that one can post photos/videos of their aquariums? I would like to see how others have set up their systems and get ideals for my future project. I really havent had time to get in and snoop around the site very much.

Well some ppl put pics of their tanks on their profile (like me lol) and then some people have whole build threads of their tank (which I have as well lol).

Btw I totally know what ya mean about the wanting healthy cories. You definitely want to be patient. I wanted some acei for my African cichlid tank and they look bad every time so I went to another store and asked for them to order them and they never talked to me about it but I went in one day and they had some so I bought them but I didn't inspect them in their tank and it turns out they had a really bad flesh eating bacteria called columnaris :( I'll miss those guys. Anyway just remember be patient, nothing good ever happens fast.

Back
Top Bottom