New to forum and about to dive back into aquarium waters a bit "Rusty".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WetlandDad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks! I'm Dennis. I have had some aquariums before but that was as I was growing up. I now have a soon to be 5yo daughter who has taken on a passion much like my own for fish. So, I've decided to retake the plunge into a freshwater tank for her as a starter as a birthday gift. Naturally, I'd be taking care of it...(she's gonna be 5yo so she won't be able to understand the inner workings of the tank) but as time passes I plan to teach her how to properly feed and maintain her fish. I'm hoping I can hook up with some of you more knowledgeable folk in the forum on how to get a fresh start on advice on a small 10-15gal setup that may end up growing into something bigger later on. Sorry for this long intro, but I figured I'd give you all a bit to think about when you see me around in here asking questions.

Welcome, Dennis!!
I'm a newbie here as well...seems we have a bit in common...

I was into aquariums when I was little as well - (mainly bc of my father who had some serious MTS (multi-tank-syndrome)...although he had me to do all the dirty work - water changes, etc. LOL)

My daughter, who turned 5 on May 31, was the initial reason/excuse for getting back into the hobby. ...but since I also have a 2 yr old daughter, I've already got MTS and I just started my first fish-in cycle on Mother's Day...we currently have 3 tanks running & have 3 empty tanks that are calling my name!!

Best of luck to you ....this has been the best iPhone App I've downloaded! The ppl here are a family (from what I've read) - and I hope that both of us become deeply rooted into this wonderful family community of caring, knowledgeable people.
Well, I guess now's a good time to post my own intro & stop hijacking yours!! ? I'm sure I'll 'see' you around on here...
...I've also subscribed to this thread to follow your initial tank set up. ????????
Amanda

Thanks AmandaLynn! I wish I had room at the moment to have MTS. I'm a riverine and wetlands ecology grad student so I'd be keeping more than just a kids tank if I had the room. Although right now I am debating on whether or not to go in on a 20g or a smaller 10-15g tank. Just worried about space and weight limits on a couple of pre-existing surfaces I have picked for the tanks home as of this moment. Really leaning for the 20g so I can give my daughter a bit more of a variety of species to choose from when it comes time.

In my experience kids are going to want fish they can't have lol

"Daddy I want a Nemo!!" or "Mommy I want a seahorse!" are popular things I hear at the pet store.

I started with a 10g when I was a kid. I had found it in an attic and ended up saving money from my paper route to buy all the components I needed to get it running.

But these days they have nice setups prepackaged. I would shoot for one of those just to get your feet wet and not have a large foot print. Do your research on the fish you buy. I wouldn't let your daughter pick the stock necessarily.

I see too many parents give in to their kids demands and I wonder what kind of tank is that fish going to land in. e.g. Oscar in a 20? with neons? and Africans?

Anyways good luck!!

Welcome to the forum! Lots of info and folks that like to share it here. If you have the room, I would go for a 20g long rather than a 20g high. IMO it gives more area for aqua-scaping/plants, shallower for better light penetration and more lateral space for swimming.

I appreciate the tip on stocking. I have had several tanks as a kid ranging from community to a predator tank. I also had a hand in Tilapia farming during my high school years. I just haven't done a smaller freshwater tank in over 18yrs. My setup (when it is all said and done) will most likely be a 20g community tank. I have spent time researching since....#1 I'm a grad student (that's all I know how to do anymore...and I have only a grad student budget to work with) #2 my daughter will have a set "researched" list of fish that she can pick from. Although the stocking may be left up to me anyway and she may pick out how she wants decorate the tank. Cichlids w/ tetras and Oscars in a 20g....lol is definitely a no-no!

Welcome to the forum! Lots of info and folks that like to share it here. If you have the room, I would go for a 20g long rather than a 20g high. IMO it gives more area for aqua-scaping/plants, shallower for better light penetration and more lateral space for swimming.

Thanks Fresh2o! I'm definitely leaning toward a 20g long. Pretty much for all of those reasons and the fact that a 20g long is easier to clean IMO experience than a 20g high.

Back
Top Bottom