New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJSerik

Aquarium Advice Freak
Probably should have made an introduction sooner. Anyways, hi! I'm new to saltwater, and am starting out with a Biocube 29. My original plan was a dwarf fuzzy, but when I put my LR in I realized that I was so limited with a lionfish. So I decided to go with a reef tank. I definitely rushed into it, on day two I had a couple clowns, whoops! They're both fine, and I think they're starting to show interest in each other. I bought a zoa frag a couple days later, and it did great. Later on I had a ton of trouble with zoas, right now my LFS is trying to get them healthy again. Anyways, I currently stand at 2 weeks with two Clarkiis, a bullet goby, a lobophyllia, some mushrooms, and two candy canes :) I'd post a picture but my tank is a little messy right now, gonna do a water change later. Anyways, thanks for all the help so far, and I hope I can help later!

Did you cycle the tank at all? Do you have a test kit? I would definitely start testing the water if you do, even if you did cycle it, adding two fish can cause a slight spike in ammonia sometimes even with a cycled tank.

I did cycle with the Turbo Cycle thing, bacteria in a bottle if you will. I have been testing daily, all is going good :)

I did cycle with the Turbo Cycle thing, bacteria in a bottle if you will. I have been testing daily, all is going good :)

What bacteria in a bottle did you use? That stuff doesn't exactly turbo cycle your tank. You should be testing your water daily right now IMO.

just make sure you are testing for ammonia, nitrites AND nitrates. no point in testing for 1 or 2 of them if you aren't looking at all 3. also it can take 14-21 days before you really see any problems arise from ammonia or the likes. just keep your eyes on it_:)

I used Turbo 900 something or other. I've been testing in the morning and night, too much? Anyways, I've only had problems with Zoas. I think it was a parasite, so keeping zoas out (sadly :/ ) for a while. I have a small aiptasia problem, but it's being treated. Anything else I should know?

its hard to tell in a tank so new. I know its extremely hard to, but id wait a few months before adding corals. the best way to set yourself up for success is to take it slow and let your tank grow and mature. its hard for corals to really thrive in a tank so new :)

I have a 29cube as well, mines about a year and a half-2 years old. People say the lighting in them sucks. They are wrong. I have such nice looking corals. Well I did until the stupid light fixture filled up with water because the pump got loose and shot into it. I suggest getting a green star polyp. Check them out. They look amazing. Post some pics of the tank. Also royal grammas are an amazing sight in the tank if you're looking for nice compatible stocking fish. And that was you can get sweet cleaner shrimps.

I have a 29cube as well, mines about a year and a half-2 years old. People say the lighting in them sucks. They are wrong. I have such nice looking corals. Well I did until the stupid light fixture filled up with water because the pump got loose and shot into it. I suggest getting a green star polyp. Check them out. They look amazing. Post some pics of the tank. Also royal grammas are an amazing sight in the tank if you're looking for nice compatible stocking fish. And that was you can get sweet cleaner shrimps.

It's not that the lights suck they just limit what corals you can keep. Unless you have the hqi you are really limited to softies and some lps with the stock lighting.

Back
Top Bottom