New to Saltwater Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrbuild

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Folks!

Just a bit of background info. I have a 35 gal see-through show tank in my divider wall. I started it as a freshwater tank and have decided to convert to saltwater reef. I have cycled my new tank and just introduced a couple of green chromus and a few hermit crabs. All is going well except I have very high nitrites for some reason and water changes are not helping. With only 2 fish and a clean tank this situation is baffling. Any advice would be helpful. Happy now to be a member of this community!

I cleaned the filter, replaced all Rock and substrates and completely started over. I have been cycling the tank for 4 weeks. All parameters were normal. Before introducing stock I did approximately 10gal of new water changes withe distilled Water. I will have my Stage R/O filter Tomorrow. What's with the rising nitrates?

is it the niTRITES or niTRATES that are rising? if its nitrites, the tank may not be fully cycled, if its TRATES that are rising, that's normal for tanks...pwc will help to keep them at a safe level. ease up on your feeding for 2-3 days and continue doing water changes as needed. it will smooth out

It's the trites that are high and I can't get them down despite almost every other day water changes of up to 5 gal. The advise that I read suggests just frequent water changes until the problem subsides. Hopefully no loss of live product will occur.

How did you cycle? Did you introduce an ammonia source or just let the tank sit for 4 weeks?

I ran the filter, air pump, and UV filter and added some biological accelerator additive as prescribed. I also finished building up my infrastructure decor with live rock up to about 24" high (It's a 30" high tank).

the uv sterilizer may be holding you back, if that bottle bacteria went through the uv, its no good anymore. have you had someone else confirm your tests with a separate test kit? its almost impossible for the Trites to come down if you are doing water changes everyother day. if you haven't, get your water tested by someone else and see what the results are.

Back
Top Bottom