New to saltwater, whats up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, my names Alan (Bigalwoo) as my username, and I'm brand new to saltwater tanks. Ive been researching books, sites and forums over the past 3 months and have began setting up a 30 gallon tank. At the moment I'm only into my 3rd week of cycling and its hard waiting but I'm loving it all so far.

The setup: My tank was second hand from Ebay for $100 including: The 30 gallon tank, a t8 lighting fixture (i bought new bulbs for) a 150w heater (not sure of the brand) and an Eheim 2008 internal filter (*read bellow about the filter*). I also have bought 45 pounds of live sand and approx 30 pounds of live rock give or take. The live rock is from a few various pet stores including only 6 pounds of base rock and the rest fiji live rock 10 pounds fiji live rock and the rest I'm not sure what kind but its live rock.

* Im replacing the Ehiem filter with an external canister soon, I'm using the money from my birthday so it won't be for about 2 weeks. Looking at getting one with lots of flow and possibly a UV steriliser also. Any suggestions?*

My temp and salinity levels are good, but here are the parameters, they've been jumping around a lot recently. Ph: 8. Ammonia: 1.0ppm (down from 5.0 yesterday. Nitrite: 0.0ppm and Nitrate: 40ppm (down from 80 yesterday). Yes, i have been logging my levels everyday and any actions carried out in the tank.

Im new to this so feel free to give me advice, tips, constructive criticism and whatever, because I'm all open to learning new stuff either it be opinions from personal experience or just shared knowledge. If your still here, thanks for reading and comment below. il also try to upload pictures, I'm Australian by the way so i have to convert all my measurements for you guys, feel special :cool:

Attachments

• the tank.jpg
    the tank.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom