New to site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2002 FLHR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi eveyone! Just checking in and saying hi. I have had a few tanks over the years but really just getting back into it. I have a 55 gallon planted fresh water community tank thats been going for a while beautiful tank I think anyways. I have also just started in saltwater. I have a 70 gallon FOWLR tank and its not been easy but i think i just got it going pretty good for about a month now. However, i do see my white spots on my hippo tang... and i have a bicolor dwarf angel which looks like some color if fading on this top dorsal fin... suggestions??? Thanks and hope to meet a lot of people here. Happy New Year!

Thanks. I totally understand where your coming from its very addicting... I starting out with one 15 gallon fresh now i have tanks everywhere... I know the electric company love me! Hahaha.

Welcome to AA! Those white spots on your tang are most likely ich, you may want to romove the fish from the main display and stick it in a quarantine tank (QT) and do hyposalinity, just do a search in the forums or google it to find out what hypo is and how to do it. Stay away from copper based meds as they usually cause more problems later on if you want coral or have inverts, but if you must use them, use them in a QT. Tangs are considered ich magnets by the way. The color fading on the fin of your bicolor angel sounds like the start of fin rot too me, but I could be wrong. Usually caused by bad water quality, a few simple partial water changes (PWC) will help clear that up.

Thanks for the info... I will look it up. What is the easiest way to set up a QT without it cycling? just put my water out of the tank into the QT? Thanks again

Thanks. I looked up the hyposalinity process and its a long one. I have an empty 15 gallon tank i guess i can use. The tank is still quite small. I will go out and get a sponge filter...I have a hang on top filter i used with an old fresh tank would that work?

With hypo you will need to do pwc's every or every other day so you really won't need a completely cycled tank so as dkpate said, some established filter media or live rock rock rubble from the display put in the filter will work. Best to have no substrate, and a few pvc pieces big enough for the fish to hide in/behind that can be easily rinsed and scrubbed with freshwater when you do the water changes.

ok! thanks all for the help. I will conduct a pwc tomorrow on the display tank to hopefully help with the fin rot on the bicolor angel. Then again on Sunday after i get some bacteria and more salt for my LFS. I will let up the QT hypo tank then. Wish me luck and happy new year! If this works i owe you guys!

Get bacteria from your LFS? Ummm, make sure it's not full of whatever diseases your new fish has also, if it's the same place.

Back
Top Bottom