New to site and Piranhas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it's a top fin 40? I got a starter aquarium that came with everything! So I used that! And would that take just a couple days to cycle or would be best to leave it for a week or two?

Thanks so much:) just took that picture too! I read everywhere they were boring fish but mine are so active always out and swimming and they play occasionally too! I guess I got lucky :)

I believe it's a top fin 40? I got a starter aquarium that came with everything! So I used that! And would that take just a couple days to cycle or would be best to leave it for a week or two?

I well, if you ran the old filter, it should have enough BB for the tank until it can build up in other filters. You can also add the filter media into a new filter. I would try to cycle it before adding them. And nice drift wood by the way :D

How long would it take to cycle. Ill be honest I cycled this tank with the rbs in it so I honestly have no idea how to cycle without I just had this chemical I put in this tank? Would it be similar? I've had these guys for about 2 months now and had no problems with my tank water. As for live plants they help cycle to speed it up?I'd have to take them out as the rbs will eat them lol

I feel kinda dumb now aha

And thanks :) they love hiding under that wood!! We had to build a hill so they could fit they got to big for it being flat on the ground :p

if you look under my posts I started a thread about cycling a tank with used media. Towards the end is a good link to help you with the cycling that way. I cycled my 90 gallon in less than a week with used filter media. But it all depends on your BB build up.

Perfect thanks so much ill check it out :)! Before I ask anymore about cycling!

Have you tried live plants with them? On the pirahnafury forum there are quite a few planted tanks! I guess they dont always eat them :)

Cycling a tank isnt an exact science everyone has their own process! If you dont already have one you should pick up an api test kit.

How long would it take to cycle. Ill be honest I cycled this tank with the rbs in it so I honestly have no idea how to cycle without I just had this chemical I put in this tank? Would it be similar? I've had these guys for about 2 months now and had no problems with my tank water. As for live plants they help cycle to speed it up?I'd have to take them out as the rbs will eat them lol

I feel kinda dumb now aha

Well, I think somebody ha you covered with the cycling, live plants help the aquarium by removing carbon dexiode and others things. Though you don't have to have them. I've also seen quite a few planted RBs tanks.

Maybe ill try the plants :) but if they were to eat them could they get sick or anything?

Are test kits super important to have my petstore is a walk away and does free testings but would having my own be better?

Id say if you want to keep everything healthy the test kit is needed. A small amount of ammonia or nitrite can be deadly if you dont know its there you wont be able to fix it. The kit is pretty expensive in some stores but I think on amazon its around 20$. And you get alot of testing out of it. Eating plants wont hurt them hopefully you're lucky and are able to keep them. Thick Plants make great hiding spots and will make them more comfortable

Id say if you want to keep everything healthy the test kit is needed. A small amount of ammonia or nitrite can be deadly if you dont know its there you wont be able to fix it. The kit is pretty expensive in some stores but I think on amazon its around 20$. And you get alot of testing out of it. Eating plants wont hurt them hopefully you're lucky and are able to keep them. Thick Plants make great hiding spots and will make them more comfortable

+1 for test kit

Perfect thanks so much:) ill look online and yeah at my local pet store it's like 60 or 70 bucks!! But it does last so it prob will be worth it if that's true!

Back
Top Bottom