Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
New to site and Piranhas!

Hi there! I'm victoria and I have a 37 g tank with three baby red bellied piranhas they are about 2 and a half inches to 3 inches at the moment and I'm wondering if this tank is going to be big enough or if ill have to upgrade soon. I always hear about people having 100+ gallon tanks but I think that's a lot I'm asking for realistic responses! Pet stores told me this will be fine where I got them but a different told me I would need a 55 or 60! Please help as they are already growing so quickly !
Should figure out if I can post feeding vids up here!
Thanks guys!!
__________________

__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
Hi there! I'm victoria and I have a 37 g tank with three baby red bellied piranhas they are about 2 and a half inches to 3 inches at the moment and I'm wondering if this tank is going to be big enough or if ill have to upgrade soon. I always hear about people having 100+ gallon tanks but I think that's a lot I'm asking for realistic responses! Pet stores told me this will be fine where I got them but a different told me I would need a 55 or 60! Please help as they are already growing so quickly !
Should figure out if I can post feeding vids up here!
Thanks guys!!
Welcome to the site. I think you'll defitlany need a new tank. While 100+ is great I think a 75 or 90 would help you out. They love to school and the min is 5. Make sure you have plenty of filtration
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
When would be the best time to upgrade? And is adding new piranhas safe to do when these guys get a little bigger? Like is adding babies in risky? In my area baby ones are more common to buy then adults! Thanks so much again!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Red belly piranha grow huge. 12+". The growth rate slows down some after 5-6" though. They are a schooling fish and are more comfortable with larger groups. 100 gallon isnt actually big enough for a proper school. So anything smaller wouldnt work long term either. If its possible rehome them and look for wimple sp? Pirahna which max out around 6" or exodon tetra. If you're looking for a species only aggressive tank
__________________
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
When would be the best time to upgrade? And is adding new piranhas safe to do when these guys get a little bigger? Like is adding babies in risky? In my area baby ones are more common to buy then adults! Thanks so much again!
No prob, and I would try to find some the same size or larger or grow out the babies in that tank. Little babies might be lunch. Well, as soon as your wallet allows is my rule for upgrading
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

Welcome to the site. I think you'll defitlany need a new tank. While 100+ is great I think a 75 or 90 would help you out. They love to school and the min is 5. Make sure you have plenty of filtration
+1 for extra filtration these guys are messy
__________________
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Well I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank for them anyways! No way am I relocating! Completely in love with these guys! I just want to know when I need to? In a year? Or sooner? I was told 2 years by a fish guy but I don't know if he has experience! I had tetras before I find these guys more interesting! Would it be good to have two filters? An under gravel one? And a hanging one?
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
Well I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank for them anyways! No way am I relocating! Completely in love with these guys! I just want to know when I need to? In a year? Or sooner? I was told 2 years by a fish guy but I don't know if he has experience! I had tetras before I find these guys more interesting! Would it be good to have two filters? An under gravel one? And a hanging one?
A hob and a canister should be best. I'm no experts on canisters though. I suggest to start upgrading when you fish reach 4-5 inches. What the widest point on your tank
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
My tank is about 13 inches wide on the sides it's a tall tank compared to a long one; which a heard piranhas prefer the length over height!!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
My tank is about 13 inches wide on the sides it's a tall tank compared to a long one; which a heard piranhas prefer the length over height!!
Yeah, they love to swim. I would upgrade for sure when they hit the 4-5 inch mark. Look for length got sure. I would say upgrade by the end of this year. You could add one more so it will grow with them just upgrade soon
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Thanks so much! I have another question! About feeding! I'm currently feeding shrimp pellets, crickets and the odd goldfish but they are mostly eating pellets. What some foods that will keep them super healthy? I know goldfish aren't the best so I want to stay away from those.
Got a picture of them on my profile if your interested!!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
As far as the underground filter I dont think that counts much for filtration. HOB and canisters are a matter of preference. I have both kinds and while the canisters are pretty silent I think I actually prefer the HOB for ease of maintenance and cleaning.but thats just me! So youve had exodon tetra before? They arent normal everyday tetra. Theyre very aggressive and actually have sharp pirahna like teeth on the outside of their mouth!!! They stay smaller so they dont require such a big tank as your RBs
__________________
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Pellets if theyre high quality are fine for piranha. You could occasionally feed frozen food juat for variety. Theres an online forum called piranhafury with a ton of info
__________________
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
I didn't have the buck toothed tetras! I had red serpae.i have seen videos and they are very cool but I am attached to my rbs! I am very willing to upgrade I just wanted to know when. And have tons of questions about them just very eager to learn and I want them to be healthy and live long so I want to give them the best I can!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
I didn't have the buck toothed tetras! I had red serpae.i have seen videos and they are very cool but I am attached to my rbs! I am very willing to upgrade I just wanted to know when. And have tons of questions about them just very eager to learn and I want them to be healthy and live long so I want to give them the best I can!
I like to hear that! High grade pellets with the occasional goldfish/ lizard for treat. I suggest running *both* a canister and hob. Ask away on questions . I would start buying stuff for a upgrade like filters, heaters, stand, decorations, ect.
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
As far as the underground filter I dont think that counts much for filtration. HOB and canisters are a matter of preference. I have both kinds and while the canisters are pretty silent I think I actually prefer the HOB for ease of maintenance and cleaning.but thats just me! So youve had exodon tetra before? They arent normal everyday tetra. Theyre very aggressive and actually have sharp pirahna like teeth on the outside of their mouth!!! They stay smaller so they dont require such a big tank as your RBs
I agree. Under gravels are not good IMO. Your RBs look healthy and very colorful. Those are great signs. Can you post a full tank shot?
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Happy to hear my diet for them is good should I run two filters in the 37g as well? And would it be best when I upgrade to start a brand new cycle? I forgot to mention this piranha aquarium is also my first aquarium!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Piranha3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Posted full tank image thanks so much glad to hear that they are healthy looking I love their colours to! Such pretty fish!
__________________
Piranha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
Happy to hear my diet for them is good should I run two filters in the 37g as well? And would it be best when I upgrade to start a brand new cycle? I forgot to mention this piranha aquarium is also my first aquarium!
Wow, we'll so far sounds like your doing it right. What your current filter? On the new tank, run the old filter on it. You might get a mini cycle, but live plants help and so do water changes.
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
Posted full tank image thanks so much glad to hear that they are healthy looking I love their colours to! Such pretty fish!
Yep, real beauties. I'm happy your able to upgrade, soon that length of that tank won't be enough When they grow a few more inches.
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Newbee! | Hello! »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.