New to Tankdom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi ??? friends,
We started a 10 gal. tank with our daughter just after Christmas this year. We have a Male Betta, 3 Glofish tetra, an Otto and....up until just a few hours ago, 2 ghost shrimp.

We watched ? as our red Glo, Sophie the bully, devoured both shrimp! Is she gonna be ok?

Chase the blue Glo is obsessed with the spot by the heater...lol

We found out after reading that Summer, the purple Glo is actually a male. My daughter is conflicted to change his name. ?

Under the advisement of a seemingly knowledgeable BBS employee, we feed them all Betta Bio-Gold twice a day. From doing some research, because the shrimp and Otto have done such a great job cleaning the tank, I should probably add algae wafers? They're very active at feeding time but they're each getting probably 3-4 pellets twice a day. They said it was enough. They're "nipping" too. We do change 20% water change every other week. The off weeks we change the carbon filter. 78°
Are we doing this right??? ??
Anyone have any different advice? We're new and excited. Thanks in advance. ??

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_230056.jpg
    IMG_20200401_230056.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200401_185822.jpg
    IMG_20200401_185822.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200401_230002.jpg
    IMG_20200401_230002.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200401_225902.jpg
    IMG_20200401_225902.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Welcome to the group.
Your glofish will be fine after eating the shrimp. There's not a lot of shrimp safe fish.
You may want to do a weekly water change, Otis are poop machines.
Your glofish will be nippy. They need to be kept in groups of 6 minimum to prevent it but your tank isn't big enough for that.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Hi Gypsea,,
Stop changing the filter cartridges. They can get a rinse in old tank water each month or two. But they should not be replaced. Carbon is not used by anyone I know in there tank on a continuous basis. The carbon will be a home the beneficial bacteria like any hard surface. After two years the cartridges will be falling apart only then can you add a new one or a strip of foam instead. The new cartridge or foam is put beside the old for 3 weeks. This gives time for bacteria to settle on to the new surface. Only then can you toss the old.
I am sure the manufacturers have instructions to say replace each month. They would like you to buy more cartridges. But the important thing is the bacteria that you can’t keep throwing away.
This may seem hard to believe but ask around. Nobody replaces the filter media/ cartridges/ foam/ fabric/ ceramic rings each month.
Only a water test will tell you for sure if your water change routine is big enough to keep nitrates at a safe level.
My routine is 40% every week with a few random 20% changes midweek as I clean substrate etc.

Thanks �� we didn't know what to think. My 7 year old just stood there ������"Stop!! What are you doing?!?" ��

Oh my gosh...ok thank you. There's so much to learn. Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom