New to the app!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmieBarnett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyome!
Not only am I new to the app but I am also VERY new to the fish world. I have never owned a tank until about a month and a half ago and bought a 55g. I have had it setup for two weeks and with fish or the other three weeks. I started with four pink kissing gouramis, five tiny tiger barbs and a pleco. I swear here the past few days I have had the worst luck! I lost my first tiger barb three days ago. Before letting him go I examined him for white spots or anything and didnt see a thing! Then yesterday I had a secound fish swimming funny. I got to llooking at him and he was COVERED in ich :/ I was beyond upset when he died last night. Well I thought the situation was over until I woke up this morning with the eight other fish covered in white salt like spots :/ I just started treatment tonight with the ich guard and I hope this helps. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear. I dont know much about my tank besides that I have an aqueon filter and heater. I did do a 40% water change yesterday before starting the ich treatment today! I am really hoping to be a very prominent member here and taking full advantage of this app. Thanks again everyone!! :)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398490867777.jpg
    1398490867777.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 1398490888431.jpg
    1398490888431.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 76
Oh and all my fish are named after breaking bad characters and my tank will soon be "los pollos hermanos" themed :)

Welcome to the forum :) nice set up!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum! Land of info. Good luck with your tank. You may want to go to Freshwater section & search 'ich'. Most people treat with hi temps (88 degrees), you increase slowly like 1-2 degrees a day & daily gravel vacuuming & 25% water changes. Also, do you have a liquid test kit?
We re here to help....

I dont have a test kit yet. I just been making sure I have been using the stress coat anytime I put water in. I did a 50% water chance and vacum on thursday then started the ich treatment yesterday. I pumped the heat up to 79 last night and will continuw to do that. Apparently they suggest not doing another water change until after the ich is gone. I havent lost any more fish yet. I got scared this morning I woke up to feed and I had a fish laying down still on its side. I thought it was dead. But its eating now! Is laying like that normal?

Can be normal for some fish, loaches love to lay in ways that scare the crap out of you. But, for most fish, I d say it s not normal.
Vacuuming the gravel & water changes help remove the ich. Most experienced aquarists don t use meds, just hi temps & the above.
Would urge you to get a test kit & read up on fish in cycling. Read all of the stickies that pertain in the various freshwater sections. I was a total beginner 16 mos ago & if I hadn t found this forum I d never have accomplished what I have now.

Yeah he is a pink kissing gourami. He is one of the ones that has the ich the worst, im guessing its just because he feels soooo bad.

I know im soooo glad I found this. It has been Sooo incredibly helpful. I wouldnt have known half the stuff I do if I wouldnt have found it.

Welcome to AA! I would suggest that you get a liquid test kit to see where your water levels are. This will help tremendously in keeping your fish happy and healthy and feeling their best. :)

Thanks! Will do!

I am ssooo confused right now and really hope you guys can help! Im probably overthinkin it but im worried. This is the box to my filter I read when treating for ich to remove the carbon but not the whole filter. My tank has a bio fiber built in that helps convert the tox ammonia and nitrates to harmless compounds and then has the carbon cartridge. So I would be okqy by removing the whole carbon cartridge? Im surprised last night I left it in and medicated and saw no result, tonight I treated and took it out and my fish are swimming eating and playing again and its only been about six hours. Am I doing omay? How long so I leave the carbon cartridge out? I know his probably isnt the place for my question but I figured you guys could relly help!

Attachments

• 1398575029627.jpg
    1398575029627.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 42
You are doing great! I actually don't use carbon cartridges unless I'm trying to remove medication from the tank or whenever the water isn't as clear as I'd like it. You can put the carbon back in after the treatment is over and the disease is gone. :)

That makes me feel so much better!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

Can I run my tank with no rocks deco nothing? Just for awhile?? I want to buy all newrocks and deco but want my tank to be filled back up and cycle for a month. Can I do that?

You sure can. :) The decorations and substrate just give the fish a more sense of security, but I think they'll be fine for a month or so.

I have no fish right now. I have an empty tank. I just want the tank to run for a few weeks or so full and try to get he water perfect. When I do buy new fish I domt want thwm to die like my previous fish :/

Haha no big deal but would it be okay empty? And can I add rocks later with it full of water or is that hard?

It will be just fine empty. Are you using gravel for substrate or sand? If gravel, then it will be easy to add that and any decorations when it has water in it, but sand is a different ball game because it will take a long time for it to settle, but will eventually settle. You would of course have to take some of the water out so that it won't overflow, but I think you probably knew that already. :)

Of course haha but thats good to know. I just for another reason dont want to leave the tank empy bc I know drying can cause leaks

Back
Top Bottom