new to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkslide

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, joining to learn a few things and plan my next tank. I have some experience with bettas when I was younger but been awhile since I last kept any fish. Looking to learn and also plan out my next tank which Im thinking about 20-30 gallons not sure what Im going to get but thinking freshwater but I am open to saltwater as well. I look forward to learning from everyone and getting the most out of the hobby.

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful, there are many knowledgeable and friendly people who helped me when I first started. :)

Welcome!!!

Consider a 40G breeder tank, lots of swimming room for fish, or for building a little reef tank. Another nice tank is a 36 or 46G Bowfront. Has a nice look to it.

One of the first things to think about will be which type of fish (as well as if SW or FW). Spend a bunch of time looking at different fish at stores, especially independent stores which often carry more of a variety of fish.

Also do you know what your water parameters are out of the tap. pH, KH/GH, often working with the water you have, and then select fish for that kind of water, will be a smart start.

Say if you have very hard water, keeping soft water fish will be more complicated to adjust every water change.

After some looking around on the web I decided to go for freshwater since I'm still fairly new and not looking to spend a ton of money to get started in the hobby at this time. I plan to get my hands on a freshwater master kit next week. I'm going to take your advice and go with a 36 gallon bowfront. Once I get all my water parameters figured I'll make a post here and we'll figure what fish I can choose from.

Edit: took some measurements around open space in my bedroom and turns out I actually have enough space to go larger so I'm going with a 46 gallon bowfront tank instead.

After some looking around on the web I decided to go for freshwater since I'm still fairly new and not looking to spend a ton of money to get started in the hobby at this time. I plan to get my hands on a freshwater master kit next week. I'm going to take your advice and go with a 36 gallon bowfront. Once I get all my water parameters figured I'll make a post here and we'll figure what fish I can choose from.

Edit: took some measurements around open space in my bedroom and turns out I actually have enough space to go larger so I'm going with a 46 gallon bowfront tank instead.

Great news for the size upgrade. That size is pretty easy to squeeze in (compared to the 36G) with a cabinet to hold you equipment.

I have one and it is an excellent size to keep a decent amount of variety of community fish. Depending on what you want to get of course but room for bottom feeders like Cories, shoaling fish group of around a dozen in the middle, a special larger fish perhaps and some stocking space still for the top area.

Definately start picking and checking for favorite fish. Some times there are favorites which do not work well together so choices have to be made. (or get another tank - later) But its fun! aqadvisor is a good basic stocking calculator for a tank. Unless you are going for a canister, or it just comes as a set and has a filter, I would recommend also the (Hagan) Aquaclear 110. really a work horse. 500 gallons per hour maximum and 166G p/h minimum.

It is a really well regarded and best gph hang on the back aka hob filter.

Well I want to base my tank on cichlids, my dad used to have a 55g tank when I was a kid and i love a lot of them. Im also heavily interested in discus however I know I need atleast a 75g tank for them since they are large and work best in schools. I also find cory cats interesting as well as tetras, gouramis, and barbs. Im not interested in gold fish, guppies, and platys. I like bettas also but not putting one in a 46 gallon tank. I also like inverts especially snails and shrimps. Im sure there are more I missed but thats what I can name off the top of my head.

Aquaclear - Fluval - Hagen at least that is all I know about.

That is a wide variety of fish and sounds like MTS - not the snails, but multiple tank syndrome - coming soon!

Some fish do not get along, some need harder or softer water, and also some are too large to be with others or be eaten, etc... So pick the ones you like best and build the tank around them (if they can all gotogether).

Discus are best kept in very frequently changes water - pretty much perfect conditions will give you the best looking, growing, condition, and those are a fish which are large and need to be in top condition to honor and appreciate them!!!

What would be the fish you want to see in your tank every day??? Take your time to think it over and explore what wonders there are!

Last edited:
Yeah MTS is definitely going on in my mind and we are only talking about freshwater fish. I like fish that are not shy that will greet you whenever you are near the tank or at least the feature fish to have this personality. It will be a few months before I build this tank so until then Im just looking around and doing my homework. I know I want sand substrate and Id love to have a school of cory cats in it if the water parameters allow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the api freshwater master kit, doing tests as we speak on my tap water. Ph seems to be 7.2-7.6 ammonia seems to be around .25 ppm it came out a bright green color to my eyes. I will test ammonia again to double check. Do I need to test nitrate and nitrite or is that best for when I have my tank and fish? Also how do I figure my water hardness?

Good that you can test for almost ever now ;)

pH take some tap water in a cup and let it just sit for 24-48 hours and see if there is any change and possibly will get a more true number.

Also when you rinse the tubes and think they are clean, clean them some more. Shake them again with more clean water and cap it with a finger (can use a glove if the chemicals bother your hands), and shake some more, again with fresh water to remove any leftovers. Edit: for clarification I mean using your finger on the end for cleaning only not for the testing part.

Can help to make sure you have accurate readings. Along with following the instructions well.

GH/KH is another test with additional bottles. You may be able to get the info from your water department about your tap water. Also you can get it tested often at your local fish store for from free to around $5 per test for both KH & GH/visit. But IMO if they want $5. just order it or buy a kit. (unless it is an emergency/urgently needed) You do not always often need the test but invaluable if you do. Borrow one is a possible option if you have a friend who has one.

Although most fish will be just fine in that pH, plants like it even more, around 7. Not something to need to alter chemically and NOT a big issue. DW could help lower the pH naturally, or leaf litter for any tank/ community planted, not needed with some fish. I only mention it so you can get a feel for what to do with the tank(s).

Some water will have elevated levels of these things like nitrites and ammonia in it. If you test your tap water, you can get some practice as each test is slightly different way to use it. And would at least do it to get a feel for the tap water you have so you know what you have to work with.

My water had .25 ammonia. I remember setting up my shrimp tank and having everything ready to put them in and fresh pure water from pwc and still having ammonia .25 and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong, doing several more pwc all with the same result, and it was the tap water!!! I hadn't ever tested my tap water back then.

Last edited:
I just tested for nitrate and nitrite. nitrate seems to be 5 ppm but giving it a few minutes to see if it clears up and nitrite came out 0 ppm. I will reassess the ph and will let you know if I get a different number. Lately I've become very interested in bolivian rams but I don't think my water is soft.

edit: after 5 minutes nitrate went up to 10 ppm nitrite stayed at 0 ppm

If you find hobbyist bred fish raised in your similar water parameters you would be alright. Have you looked into being a member of any aquarium clubs, or at least many offer free meetings to go to and meet breeders.

If these guys aren't near you they might have recommendations.

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society

This one is cool for natives
The North American Native Fishes Association

American Killifish Association | The Oldest National Tropical Fish Organization in the World

We have a club in our state, I didn't see the links for local clubs but might have just missed it.
American Cichlid Association

Good to hear! Those groups usually have such wonderful sharing of experiences and learning to hand down to others and excitement of breeding and raising aqua critters.
Plus auctions and connections for great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom