New to the forum, halfway new to aquarist hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicwatts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I have had my current 20 gallon freshwater aquarium for probably 8 years now. I recently had a big die off with no explainable reason for it. I still have my pleco who is like 14" now and one neon tetra left. I lost 4 neon tetras and my powder blue dwarf guarami all within a period of a few of months :(

About 10-12 years ago, I was running a 125 gallon freshwater at my tanning salon with some success, but was at the time very new at the hobby. I was running 2 - 350 Magnum canister filters (1 with carbon, the other with floss filter) along with Bio-Wheel 60. When we moved it from its location, it was placed in storage, which is where it sat until recently.

I have pulled the 125 gal out of storage, wiped down with vinegar/water solution and rinsed well. Filled with water and let sit for a week on front porch - no leaks. However, the silicone on the 4 upright corners is eroded on the edges. My husband thinks I should leave well enough alone, but I am afraid it will erode more over time and we'll then have a big mess on our hands.

Any ideas on that???

Also, would like any long term hobbyist advice on filtration setup - whether that will be good for the long haul. I am planning on making this a fresh water tank with a saltwater theme. Going to use sand as the substrate instead of gravel. Not sure what sand I can use as I really don't need live sand in fresh water. Ideas? I've done some research and saw that I could use pool filter sand, well rinsed. I have NO IDEA how to "rinse" sand. lol

I will be moving my artificial plants and the 2 fishies that I still have in the 20 gallon tank to the new tank as soon as possible. ANYONE HAVE ADVICE on how to quickly "cycle" the 125 gal?

I know this is a long post, but I am hoping to get some questions answered so I can move on to start setup soon. Thanks everyone! Have a very "fishy" day!:fish1:

New to the forum, halfway new to aqaurist hobby

Howdy.

To rinse sand put it on a fine fabric and run lots of water through it. Quartz pools sand is pretty clean and free of silicates.

To speed up a cycle you need to find someone who is willing to part with some of their media. I have seen members here mail media to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

media

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by "media". I have the established 20 gallon already. If by media, you mean the gravel, could I just put my established tank gravel on bottom of new tank and cover with the sand?

Also, could i put the sand on some landscape fabric to rinse it? And does it really have to be rinsed first?

New to the forum, halfway new to aqaurist hobby

Usually media is a term referring to stuff in your filter. Like floss or sponges, bio rings etc. anything covered I juicy beneficial bacteria. Just put it in your canisters.

I would rinse the sand. You really don't want to deal with all that fine stuff in your tank. Landscape fabric should work.

I have an aqueon filter that hangs on the back of my 20 gallon. It has a blue "pouch" with carbon inside that you change monthly. Would that be the media? Also, have another unrelated question...Do you know why the instructions for setting up my canister filters say it must be placed in a well ventilated area? My cabinets underneath the 125 gallon that I will be putting the filters in have doors and was just trying to ascertain why it would need to be well ventilated. Any thoughts?

I have an aqueon filter that hangs on the back of my 20 gallon. It has a blue "pouch" with carbon inside that you change monthly. Would that be the media? Also, have another unrelated question...Do you know why the instructions for setting up my canister filters say it must be placed in a well ventilated area? My cabinets underneath the 125 gallon that I will be putting the filters in have doors and was just trying to ascertain why it would need to be well ventilated. Any thoughts?

That pouch is your media and everytime you change it you loss your bacteria. I suggest you move to using sponges/floss and only change a portion at a time. When possible just rinse it in old tank water. Do not rinse in the tap.

Ventilation is for the motor in a pump. If you have and inch or two behind that is a gap between the stand and the wall you should be ok.

there is no space between wall and cabinet...it is a built-in. maybe i should put a vent somewhere?

Wecome and I love the magnum 350. I use one with carbon and one with micron filter. I also use a 350 for pre filtering water for water changes.

Back
Top Bottom