New to the Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NancyMM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all,
This is my introduction. I am not new to fish but new to the planted tank. I have had a little pond in my small backyard for about 6 years. I've re-dug to make it bigger three times now. I started it with 6 21 cent goldfish thinking I didn't know what I was doing and they would probably perish. Six years later and then are the size of pond koi and have reproduced 5 generations. Each summer I give away about 40 goldfish to neighbors (keeping about 40 myself) and each summer they continue to reproduce. I winter them outside with a de-icer and air stones.

I decided I'd like to try my luck inside with a planted tank. I carefully planted my 38 gallon tank from seeds and small plants, cycled it and waited until I thought it was safe to add fish. I now have 6 Neon Tetras, 6 Pristella Tetras, 3 Corycats, 2 Guppies (I've lost several and I'm not sure why) and Amano shrimp. As I said, the guppies haven't faired well even though my temperature and water measurements are all good. I have guppie food and have followed all the directions I've found online and the advice of the people at the fish stores.

The tank has several kinds of plants - including carpeted areas, hiding spots and floating plants. I have a the cocoanut shell for for my amanos and a tube through which I can feed them their food.

Recently - yesterday - I added 6 Mollies - 3 dalmatians, 2 black and 1 white. They are larger than the other fish (about the same size as my corycats) I noticed right away that the mollies are going for the sinking wafers I have for the corycatfish and even pushing the corycats out of the way. They seem to be semi-aggressive and I'm wondering if I made a bad choice.

Following what I've read - I got 6 so they would have a group, put them in last so that the smaller fish could feel comfortable and even claim space before they joined the group. From everything I've read, they are supposed to be good community tank mates. They now are - for the most part - hanging at the bottom of the tank and invading the space of the corycats.

Is this normal? Should I return them and just stick to tiny fish? I'd love some advice.

Thanks so much!

Hello, welcome to the community and congrats on having a go at a planted tank! Sounds like you have a fun pond going.

The Mollies can get very large and although called community fish, there will be semi-aggressive momma fish who are growing babies will be fierce eaters, lol, they are taking care of business and getting as much food as possible. And the males are used to getting their share too. They tend to hog the food.

You may find a different fish would be a more enjoyable choice. Maybe able to return/exchange them since they are "bullying" the Cories.

Maybe get more Cories too they love groups, 6 is usual but 8 wouldn't be unheard of. Also if you are loving the Cory cats, there are also Dwarf Cories. Pygmy Cories (Habrosus and Hastatus too) which get 1-1.25 inches and you can get a little bunch of them at some point. They swim all around the tank.

What is your pH, do you know your KH/GH. Wondering about the Guppies, and more fish choices.

Any other fish which you have been looking into /like?

Back
Top Bottom