newb, but not a newb..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exoticaquariumspecies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone.. I'm Alex from CT. Joining to gather information on making myself a better aquarium owner. i will post pics of my tank in a few days. the water has been kind of cloudy recently :( need to buy a new test kit my old one is very old.

specs..

155g bowed black with bowed cabinet.

freshwater

2 blue lobsters
2 southern painted turtles
1 african rope fish
1 snowflake eel
12 otocinclus suckers
20 glowlight tetras
20 red eye tetras
5 ghost glass catfish
6 ghost shrimp

a pic from a couple months back (i only has the turtles back then). but now its totally different. i added sand and some other things. made a floating dock etc. bunch of fake plants on order from ebay a few days ago.

317665_10150883421475065_667915064_21287919_530437301_n.jpg

Welcome to AA!

That's a very interesting assortment of critters you got in there!

my bad/good news recently.

my tank has been cloudy so its been hard to see my critters.

well the other day I couldn't find my eel, rope fish & one of the blue lobsters.

I recently bought 3 fake rock decor pieces. 2 the same and one a little larger, king of big pieces.

So I started looking for them, pulling the pieces out and looking in the little spots inside these things. As I pull them out I'm looking in them with a flashlight and shaking them. The rope fish comes out. awesome. Well I continue to look to find one of my old regular crayfish I was looking for this guy for a week, that I wanted to get rid of, was stuck underneath one of these but he was dead. the biggest rock piece I couldn't see clearly inside one of these holes and had a feeling the eel was in it. so I cut it open carefully with a dremel. and there he is, so I put him back in my tank. (30$ in the trash for the fake rock piece)

I wait a day, again I don't see the eel, rope fish & one of my blue lobsters again. I pull both decor pieces out, the rope fish jumps out of one when i was pulling it out. so that was good. and put them in my bathroom tub (which has a small screen on the drain, so nothing can go down it)

I wait about 30 minutes, go back in and see one of my blue lobsters, so I put him back in my aquarium. awesome again.

still looking for the eel now. so I put the 2 fake decors in the basement. (was sure my eel couldn't of been one any of the 2, because of his size).

I continue to look into the tank, no luck. so I go to the pet store to get more silicone for the turtle dock I am making.

not feeling to good on not finding the eel. I look around the outside of my tank, in the filters (even though my water is like 6" lower) I sift through the sand with a yard stick, nothing. So then something tells me to go look down stairs in the 2 fake rock pieces again. I go downstairs, and this time I actually see him! I rush him upstairs, put him in a bucket, then put him back in the tank and put the 2 rock pieces back int he basement (60$ waste again)

after researching a little and remembering a aquarium diy of using like 5" pvc cutting in half and gluing sand/rocks to it etc, and other research that eels like pvc to hide in. My dad has some spare big pvc pieces, so I put some together and put it in my tank for the eel/rope fish/blue lobsters.

now more time on google researching I was looking into cloudy water. I found a product that I recalled using a long time ago (like 10 yrs or so) with a bunch of people talking highly about it and decided to give it a try. Well lets say it worked a miracle on my tank and I wanted to share this. I also bought a full freshwater test kit at the same time because mine was maybe 14 yrs old lol.

385138_10150977719685065_667915064_21824917_1410121176_n.jpg

so that is my bad/good story. still working on setting up the tank and decorating the pvc stuff and debating if that's what I am going to use or not, so no real full pictures yet. sorry ;)

:welcome: to AA! :)

Cloudy water usually means the tank is not cycled for the fish yet. So...tank cycled???

Very interesting and spectacular assortment of animals you have there (y)

The only way to tell is by water parameters. Do you happen to have a test kit that will tell you your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

How long has this tank been running?

Usually, but not always, cloudy water for new tanks means a bacterial bloom.

The only way to tell is by water parameters. Do you happen to have a test kit that will tell you your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

How long has this tank been running?

Usually, but not always, cloudy water for new tanks means a bacterial bloom.

i just bought a new test kit 2 days ago. the water has been running for some time, 6-7 months? but i did a nono on cleaning all the 3 AC 110 filters at once and introducing new/more things to my tank. no fish have ever died/water looks great since the drops, but i do need to test the water a little later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom