Newbe in keeping tropical fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachelglam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have just started keeping tropical fish, I have a 15L and a 80L tank.
In my small tank, I have Mollys and Plattys and a Orange Plec.
In my big tank, I have Ruby Shark, 2 Clown Loaches, 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Roma Barbs, 2 Serpee Tetras, 3 Tin Foil Tetras, 2 Cooli Loaches and a Plec.

I have looked up my clown loaches, as I think they are brilliant and recently given them Banana, which they loved.

I have a question, what is the max number of fish I can keep in my big tank?

Always after good advice, as I'm new to this hobby x

Hi, I have just started keeping tropical fish, I have a 15L and a 80L tank. In my small tank, I have Mollys and Plattys and a Orange Plec. In my big tank, I have Ruby Shark, 2 Clown Loaches, 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Roma Barbs, 2 Serpee Tetras, 3 Tin Foil Tetras, 2 Cooli Loaches and a Plec. I have looked up my clown loaches, as I think they are brilliant and recently given them Banana, which they loved. I have a question, what is the max number of fish I can keep in my big tank? Always after good advice, as I'm new to this hobby x
Both of those tanks are highly overstocked. None of the inhabitants in your 15 liter are suitable. In the 80, none of the plecos are suitable. IMO, the most you should have in that tank are the Roma barbs and two serpae tetras. Maybe the tin foil tetras would be okay also, but even that would be pushing it.

Anyways, welcome!! :) AA is a great website.

Thank you for your opinon, I didn't go out and randomly buy fish, my big tank was already half stocked and I got professional advice from a reputable fish dealer, on what else I could put in it. x

Thank you for your opinon, I didn't go out and randomly buy fish, my big tank was already half stocked and I got professional advice from a reputable fish dealer, on what else I could put in it. x

Welcome!!
However I have to agree they are overstocked, clown loaches get big as do most plecos. Even if your tank isn't overstocked at the moment because the fish are small they will grow and outgrow the tank. Also are they tinfoil barbs or tetras because that will make a big difference in stocking as well. I personally wouldn't listen to that fish dealer, seems to me they are just trying to make a buck.

Sorry, but your 3.5Gal and 20Gal tanks are horribly overstocked. You shouldn't keep any pleco in a 3.5Gal and Clown loaches are a no-no in a 20Gal. They get huge and need a lot of space to move around.

I don't know who you took advice from but I CAN tell you that I've been to more petshops that didn't know what they were talking about than I have to petshops that DID know what they were talking about.

Some more realistic stock lists would be a pair of killifish and some shrimps in the 3.5gal and maybe a honey gourami, a few small tetras and a bushynose pleco in the 20gal.

Back
Top Bottom