Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI, my name is April, I am just starting an aquarium for the first time in my life:fish2: I am very excited about it and I am hoping to get a nicely stocked tropical community going. I'm starting with black stripped tetras 2 short fin and 3 long fin, (the store gave me the wrong ones I wanted all long fin). I am planning on naming fish by schools/breeds I named these Proto...prototype. I had an issue with one of the long fins a day after I got them and got the water tested and it was "perfect" by the testing done by the store. so I got stress coat and it worked! I also have 3 moss balls and 6 ghost shrimp (but I can only find 3) one of the shrimp tried to jump down the sink when I opened the bag to put them in my tank, I got her in and she looks happy now. 2 of them are females with eggs (will they lay them and hatch??
I tried a red ludwiga but all the leaves started turning brown and falling off and the plant was not as bright in color so I took it out and saw that the roots were dark.
I have a 37gal top fin tank with a 40 top fin filter. I have gravel (black and neon) substrate and a few fake plants and a large coral with a bubbler going through it. the lighting is the white led lights that came with the tank. a 200w heater I have a floating thermometer and a strip one.

I don't know how to add a picture. or I would
HELLO EVERYONE
April

If you are on your phone, when typing up your comment or thread, at the bottom it will say attacthments. Click it it will then say add attachment. Find a picture and post it will say insert inline and Walsh!. If you are on computer I have not a clue! Excited to see your tank!

ForumRunner_20130722_130018.jpg

Hi and welcome LadyApril. I can see that space being filled with a custom made tank, pretty soon....haha

Hey welcome to AA!

Unfortunately it is very hard for shrimp baby's to make it in a tank with other fish
Nice black skirt tetras!
Welcome to AA, planing on more fish?

Yes I am planning on another school of fish this Wednesday. I am not sure which fish though. I do like the tetras but I want some more color in the tank. I will see what they have. I really want a plant that will live too. I have to return the red ludwiga that I got cuz the roots turned dark and the plant just did not look good. The moss balls are intriguing though!

Just make sure you do some research on the fish and don't impulse buy. LFS's don't always give good advice!!

Just make sure you do some research on the fish and don't impulse buy. LFS's don't always give good advice!!

Oh I've prolly put in about 40hrs doing research about fish and tanks but still feel stressed as I don't want to kill fish...I really like dwarf gourami...but I don't have any plants (save for the moss balls)

I would suggest starting a new thread and ask for advice on stock. Get a rough idea on what fish you would like. Add these to the thread and people will give you advice on fish that are compatible and suit your tank size. The key to a happy healthy tank is to take your time. Don't rush in and don't feel forced by the LFS to buy certain fish, or products. You can always get info on certain fish when your at the store, just use your phone. I would strongly suggest getting your own liquid test kit. Relying on the LFS to test your water is not always the best thing. API make a great master test kit. You WILL make mistakes, everyone does. It's learning from them that's the key. You have a world of info on here and many many very experienced people who know what they are talking about. Use them, they will gladly help and they have no vested interest(trying to sell!!)....
I am not trying to bash LFS's, it's just that some offer crazy advice that ends up turning new aquaists away from this great hobby(addiction). You do have of course many LFS, who offer brilliant advice too!!!

I would suggest starting a new thread and ask for advice on stock. Get a rough idea on what fish you would like. Add these to the thread and people will give you advice on fish that are compatible and suit your tank size. The key to a happy healthy tank is to take your time. Don't rush in and don't feel forced by the LFS to buy certain fish, or products. You can always get info on certain fish when your at the store, just use your phone. I would strongly suggest getting your own liquid test kit. Relying on the LFS to test your water is not always the best thing. API make a great master test kit. You WILL make mistakes, everyone does. It's learning from them that's the key. You have a world of info on here and many many very experienced people who know what they are talking about. Use them, they will gladly help and they have no vested interest(trying to sell!!)....
I am not trying to bash LFS's, it's just that some offer crazy advice that ends up turning new aquaists away from this great hobby(addiction). You do have of course many LFS, who offer brilliant advice too!!!

Thank you! I saw the master kit and was intimidated by it a little. I will look into it again...beats driving 15 miles every 2 days to soothe my mind.

Thank you! I saw the master kit and was intimidated by it a little. I will look into it again...beats driving 15 miles every 2 days to soothe my mind.
Don't be intimidated, they are easy to use. Don't even bother with the test strips, not very accurate......

Go to amazon to buy your test kit. It's 15$ vs the $35 at LFS. I just got two powder blue dwarf Gouramis yesterday. We don't have any live plants. Our Thicklip Gouramis are doing fantastic with out live plants in our 45.

Powder blue dwarf in 29 gallon
ForumRunner_20130723_072343.jpg

Thicklip in 45 gallon
Screenshot_2013-07-23-07-26-06_1.jpg

Go to amazon to buy your test kit. It's 15$ vs the $35 at LFS. I just got two powder blue dwarf Gouramis yesterday. We don't have any live plants. Our Thicklip Gouramis are doing fantastic with out live plants in our 45.

Powder blue dwarf in 29 gallon

Thicklip in 45 gallon

Oh I will check amazon right now! Thank you and that powder blue little guy is awesome!

Don't be intimidated, they are easy to use. Don't even bother with the test strips, not very accurate......

Yeah I was realizing that when I asked for the numbers and they looked at me like I was dumb. "your tank is good" me "well what is good" they are gonna start calling me the crazy fish lady ha

Back
Top Bottom