The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaDama6589

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter decided she wanted fish and I actually think they are pretty cool... So I brought a 20 gallon tank. I figure a freshwater tank is a good way to start. We have 4 glo tetras, 1 angel, 1 guppy, 1 dwarf and a pleco... Any tips on keeping my tank clean and fish friendly would be appreciated. Also I'd love to know what kind of fish are good together since Petco seems to think none are.

I'm not really sure what that means... I ran the tank for 24hrs before I put any fish in it

Until I started going through the forums I never new having a freshwater tank was so complicated... I remember having a few as a child but I don't remember my father doing that much lol

Hmmm have a look through the forum for fish in cycling it will give you an idea of how much is involved not just a case of sitting back and watching them there's a fair bit to do to look after them, did you buy a water testing kit? Do you have water conditioner? If not buy them both because you will need to use them quiet a lot did you put quick start or something in?

Welcome to AA and to the hobby! It's really not that complicated. It does make sense that there should be a good environment for fish since they do everything in their water from swimming and playing to eating and pooping. Once you get it established it's very enjoyable and relatively easy to maintain. :) Since you already have fish, you might consider doing a fish-in cycle rather than the fishless. I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she is young, she may not understand and will want to keep the fish. :) Fish in cycle can be somewhat stressful on the fish, but I think as long as you keep the ammonia and nitrite levels bearable, it'll be just fine.

I got the quick start kit... It came with two types of drops... And I ran the filter we got a plant and some bulbs in there... The fish seem to be doing just fine... I remember growing up once a month my dad would clean the whole tank out but now I hear that's not how you do it... I've been all over online I figured a forum was a better way to figure it all out

Yeah if you just read through some of the articles they are really helpful and if you don't find what you need just ask I'm sure you will find the answer one way or another

No not at all sometimes you get a bacteria bloom which makes your water go really cloudy usually get it in a new aquarium seems you have been lucky just keep an eye on your fishys and if you think there something wrong just ask :)

Oh I think we just have good water in my area lol... I live in Connecticut and I have the reservoir near by

Back
Top Bottom