newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indigo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! i'm about to take delivery of a large aquarium, it was my m-i-l's but it cracked >.< and she decided she didn't want it as it was a lot to take care of, so the insurance have replaced it for a new one and are on their way to deliver it to me now! *bounce bounce*

not sure of the exact size, i'll post that later when i've got it all set up :)

looking to decorate it in a 'gothic' theme, i've asked for black sand and backdrop, any other advice/suggestions would be very much welcome :)

i kept a 4ft tank some 12 years ago, and we're planning to go down the same route with a crayfish and eels, not quite sure what else as yet, i'll be bouncing ideas off the installers as they are most experienced at this :)

welcome to aa! love the idea of a gothic theme... maybe a pair of gargoyles on either side of the tank would be sweet. a slate "alter" in the middle could double as a cool cave for the fish! good luck!

ty for the warm reception!

yes gargoyles are the way to go i think! now that my monster tank has arrived! i asked the guy how much water it holds, and he said 110 gallons!! (500 UK litres!) OK....

so, having had a good chat with him, i'm thinking of stocking (eventually after cycle yaddayadda) 10 platties (mainly black), mollies of various descriptions - sailfins are my fave, swordtails, approx 20 cory cats, a pair of dwarf plecs of some description, 2 eels, 1 crayfish, and 3 pairs of angels.

i'm aiming to go with as much of a black and white theme as i can (apart from the crayfish of course!) and i'm going to need bigger than neon tetra sized fish for obvious reasons!

any ideas/suggestions (is this even in the right section now?) would be digested, thought about and questions asked back directly ;)

plants are an absolute nono, although we did have a leftover fake plant thing that he stuck in as he couldn't bear to leave a tank completely empty! and it's leaves look exactly like cannabis leaves, we're going to have to work that into the tank somewhere just for a laugh... lots more driftwood is needed, as are rocks and slate which i'll be shopping for initially tomorrow. a stone gargoyle on a column/pillar was suggested and i'm really up for that idea, have him sat looking into the tank surveying his kingdom sort of thing.

just in case you're wondering, the tank is set in a newly decorated (but still very bare) gothic themed room, the walls are a deep blood red, floor a dark oak laminate and black leather sofas complete the clean but dark look! the black background and sand look awesome, all set in a mahogany cabinet...

*shuts up* sorry, i'm just dead excited to finally get this tank after 6 months of planning and having to wait for it! (walls and ceiling needed replastering and then redecorated and the floor needed to be levelled, new window and good ridance fireplace - prefer a fish tank anyday ;) )

you could re post the last part in the general fresh water chat. the first one after the saltwater.
goodluck. i wish you all is well.
more people read there i think.

Ky'smommy said:
you could re post the last part in the general fresh water chat. the first one after the saltwater.
goodluck. i wish you all is well.
more people read there i think.

will do, thank you! :)

Welcome to AA. Very interested in the Gothic themed tank. Throw up some pics when you get it set up will yah.

Tank sounds really cool. I would suggest adding the mollies first. I've used them in the past to help cycle my tank. They are very hardy! And I would also add the angels last. They are usually not very aggressive but they are a cichlid no less. I've kept a 90 gallon for several years and love it! I'm so envious of your 110 gallons! You've got to post some pics as you go along with this set up! I've got to see this themed set up! Welcome and best of luck with your endeavors!

Back
Top Bottom