Newbie and her mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! I have a 10 gallon planted tank and just started the cycling process for a 20 gallon. So my newbie mistake number one was believing what the PetCo people told me. The second mistake was letting my 8 year old pick out a fish (and reading the PetCo description of said fish).

Which is how I ended up with a rainbow shark in a 10 gallon tank! I am prepping the 20 g tank to move him into that. After research I have heard a 55 g tank is the minimum for the RS as an adult. How long do I have until he really needs to be in a 55 g tank vs the 20g? Months? Years? Do I just need to say "sorry kid" and re-home the little guy? ( the fish, not the kid).

Tank mates are tiger barbs and neon tetras. The RS is still under two inches long.

Hi all! I have a 10 gallon planted tank and just started the cycling process for a 20 gallon. So my newbie mistake number one was believing what the PetCo people told me. The second mistake was letting my 8 year old pick out a fish (and reading the PetCo description of said fish).

Which is how I ended up with a rainbow shark in a 10 gallon tank! I am prepping the 20 g tank to move him into that. After research I have heard a 55 g tank is the minimum for the RS as an adult. How long do I have until he really needs to be in a 55 g tank vs the 20g? Months? Years? Do I just need to say "sorry kid" and re-home the little guy? ( the fish, not the kid).

Tank mates are tiger barbs and neon tetras. The RS is still under two inches long.

I'd say you got a couple of months before it grows large enough to start establishing territories ... and then it can get a bit nasty. Rainbow Sharks and RedTail Sharks are territorial and will show aggression to fish who wander into their territory ... but usually more towards fish that look like it.

In a 20 gal it may see the whole tank's as it's territory. My RTS was under two inches when I first go it and is now 3 inches with another 3 to go. You can add plants, Driftwood and caves to help establish territories for it to claim. A 55 gal seems to be the agreed minimum size for them and the tank mates you choose should work fine.

i would rehome ASAP,he may not need the room now,but would greatly appreciate it. also,neons are bad tankmates for tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom