Newbie checking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyteGTI

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys & gals, name's Ryan and I just setup my second tank last nightand I'm starting a fishless cycle tonight with a decoration my buddy is giving me from his cycled tank. I figured it's time for me to find a forum since I do this with everything I own or do. so after looking around I think I've found my home here at AA. You all seem like a great group of people.

background:
I grew up with fish tanks all throughout childhood both FW & SW big(150g) & small (fishbowl). Of course my dad was always the one to check all the levels & make sure everything was perfect & I just got to feed the fish & occasionally help him clean out the filter media(undergravel filters were the thing then..) So of course I figured I knew what I was doing. I setup my little 10g tank and a couple days later without a fishless cycle threw an angel, pleco(who i plan to put into my new tank since the petsmart near me didn't explain how big he gets!), and a dwarf gourami:banghead:. Luckily I noticed them acting odd & fixed my water mistakes. Now im looking to do this right for my 55g FW tank. once I get home ill take pics of the empty 55g with just water and 1 mini decoartion from a buddies established tank for kicks. When when I get it all established 'll take pics of the pleco & whatever else is gonig in there.(GF & I are debating between 2 bala sharks or a few community schools.
She really wants an oscar but im not a huge fan of cichlids but we'll see.

If I left anything out lemme know haha

Look forward to chatting with everybody and seeing some great setups!

Let us know how things go! Ace Hardware is the best place to buy ammonia (Ace Hardware brand-its also on Amazon). If things dont go as planned fishless cycling, you can have one of my smaller filters to speed things up! :)

Let us know how things go! Ace Hardware is the best place to buy ammonia (Ace Hardware brand-its also on Amazon). If things dont go as planned fishless cycling, you can have one of my smaller filters to speed things up! :)

Thanks for the tip on ace hardware. I actually got a filter from a friend along with some of his decorations since he's breaking down his tank and moving his fish into a bigger one this weekend. But thank you for offering!

Here's the pics i promise:

6222068192_37784e86f3_b.jpg

Our 2 angels that will go into the pigger tank with the Pleco.

6221547793_ea24c728f7_b.jpg

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Welcome to AA! yeah I didn't like cichlids much at first but they grew on me. Now I own a couple jd's :) wish I had an oscar but they're very aggressive and I'm out of room in this aquarium anyway

Welcome to the site. I keep angels too and I love them! I am sure yours will be thrilled to get into a bigger tank.
Just a note, you should ask people on here for stocking suggestions. there are people who have kept all the species you are talking about and can give you good info on them. I will give you a heads up and say that a common pleco and balas need a much bigger tank than 55 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom