Newbie from Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanx for the link Thincat....until now, all i can see is only this crabby came out from the LR...and i think its already died...:p
right now im waiting the ammonia level to become 0...and a lil bit renovation for the stand..til then, im sorry there is no pic...wil update soon after everything is settle..owh...the is a lil bit question about the sump...in my sump, there is 4 partition..1. i put filter in it...2. i put bio ring...3. there is 200g LR...4. my return pump located.....my question...shud i maintain as it is or shud i remove the filter and bio ring coz there is comments i read from other web said those filter and bio ring shud be removed....

thanx in advance...

Yes, now would be a good time to remove the bio-rings. You have enough LR to do all your filtering and the bio-rings would only be come a nitrate trap. They would also compete with the LR and cut down on the LR's ability to become an effeicent flilter. You can leave the sponge for now, but be aware that it has to be cleaned often.

Last edited:
updating.....

yesterday i was checking my water level...my nitrate 20ppm and my nitrite is 0ppm...my pH a lil bit decrease from 8.5 to 8.0.....in my tank i still can see the balance of the fish foods and the fish meat that i put last week...i already finish build my stand and my overflow box...
Question: shud i remove all the food balance in the tank or shud i let it in there for a couple of weeks..???

p/s: will update pics soon after ready...

thanx in advance...

It seems that your tank has cycled. do a large water change and test you water in about 3-5 days and you should be able to add fish slowly. Remember that your bioload has to build up to the fish load.

okay...then i will do 50% water change or less? i'l do it today after work..

thanx in advance..

That's great! check it the next day or so if no ammonia or nitrite you should be okay to add a fish or two. After you add the fish be sure to check the ammonia level the next day to be sure...

okay then...thanx for your advice and guide....already change 50% of water....btw, there is still small piece of fish food and fish meat in the tank...shud i remove it from the tank or shud i let it be there until all gone?

thanx in advance....

got question here....which come first after ammonia..???
nitrites or nitrates?

thanx in advance

update....
okay...already check water parameter......
ammonia = 0.5
gH = 180
kH = 180
pH = 8.0
No2 = 0
No3 = 0

Okay, has long as you have ammonia you are still not through with your cycle. You should see ammonia go to 0 and Nitrates start to raise.

i believe the amonia came from the balance of the fish food and the fish meat that stil available in the tank..that is why my reading is 0.5 for ammonia..i'l make another big water change in this weekend..i have to do plumbing for my sump and DT and at that time i believe that i might do PWC....

Ad, If your tank was truely cycked you would not see any ammonia no matter the food in the tank!

owh...then what shud i do...??? im planning on doing 10% PWC for 3 days and test the water parameters....is that okay? or shud i wait another week for PWC..??

thanx in advance...

Do you have any Nitrates! If so then do the water changes. Since you have nothing in the tank you can do a bigger water change.

update....
okay...already check water parameter......
ammonia = 0.5
gH = 180
kH = 180
pH = 8.0
No2 = 0
No3 = 0

as the last water tested, there is no Nitrates....its only ammonia level which is 0.5...okay....then i will do another 50% water changes this weekend...

thanx in advance

You really can wait until you see some nitrates to do a water change. Although there is little bacteria in the water.

okay.....then i'l wait if the nitrate and ammonia level appear this saturday or sunday....coz i'l do my plumbing system with my lil bro this coming weekend..maybe at that time i'l do another bigger water change...

thanx in advance....

update....
already done with the plumbing.....but my overflow box doesn't seem to work....the water flow very little until it stop then...i did like melevreef show...dril some hole and suck those air out....right now,my bro do another overflow box using flexible tube....maybe that 1 is easier.....not do any water testing rite now....but already add 2L water in my sump and the ammonia and nitrate will be 0...if so,i'l buy some chaeto algae....the water now cycle but the overflow WIP...hope will setle soon....

thanx in advance....

okay.....
done setup my tank,my plumbing and my stand......
here is some pic as i promise....plz do not hesitate for any comment...
test water parameter juz now....ammonia level 1.0ppm, No2=0, No3=0...huh

my 10g sump
img_1172235_0_5527d8367e708ac6996df305d47a7d4b.jpg

from above
img_1172235_1_4ee660f8f7646cace2e97f3c0cf076c7.jpg

from front
img_1172235_2_beb5f26e684b82e1f81e74e789393783.jpg

Back
Top Bottom