Newbie from Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abdhalim2

Aquarium Advice Freak
hye everyone,
im here to expand my knowledge and get some advice on how to start the salwater tank...i already have 29gal tank last 2 month n 2 of my clownfish already died last week...need to know every info so that i wont los any of my fish anymore...planning to start with fish only tank (before adding all the live rock or others)...
maybe dats all right now....

p/s : sorry if my language is bad :jump:

I understand you perfectly. Now did you cycle your tank? How many fishes do you have in there now? If you are not using Live Rock for filtration, what are you using?
Can you give me some water parameters?
SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp.

actually what do you mean cycle my tank? did you mean water change? i change my water 20% a week...no fish right now..im using mechanical filtration..in plan of using refu system after fully understand about it...owh...i dont do those test since its hard for me to find that test kits...since im in malaysia, my water temp is 31 at day and 29 at night...already used cooling fan and the water temp stil not change....

actually what do you mean cycle my tank? did you mean water change? i change my water 20% a week...no fish right now..im using mechanical filtration..in plan of using refu system after fully understand about it...owh...i dont do those test since its hard for me to find that test kits...since im in malaysia, my water temp is 31 at day and 29 at night...already used cooling fan and the water temp stil not change....
Okay, you need to go to our homepage and use the link to the Articles and read up on how and why you have to cycle your tank before adding fish.
It is going to be hard for you without a test kit. Do you have somewhere you can go to have your water tested for the things I listed.

ok...already bought this kind of master test kits yesterday...
the reading was my kh is 180ppm, my gh is 180ppm, my ph is 8.0, No2 is 1 and No3 is 0...temp is as i said 30'C at night and 31'C at day...the SG is 1.025....its seem like my temp is higher as my LFS said its suppose to be 25'C-27'C....should i use protein skimmer for FO tank..???
neway thanx in advance thincat...

Regards,
Halim
Newbie from Malaysia

For a 29g Fish Only you don't need a skimmer, you just have to do Parcel water changes every of 20% every two weeks. with No2 at 1 you are not through cycling of your tank. Monitor it until NO2 is 0 then do a 20% water change and you should be okay to add a fish or two. Remember to add fish slowly as your filter has to build up bacteria to consume the ammonia waste from your fish.

owh,....hahaha....already bought those skimmer...still can be use right??
anyway...how about the temp..???is that ok..?? how i want to make the No2 become 0..? i read the article about cycle saltwater tank....i have to put raw shrimp into my tank....is that the way to reduce my No2 to 0..??
if i plan to put live rock, is it ok to put it now?or i have to wait after i do water cycle..?? btw, i use bio filtration together with chemical..sorry for a lot of questions here...:D
i do my researchs n readings..but the more i do, the more i get confuse...:cool:

Thanx in advance thincat,
Newbie from Malaysia

You can't go wrong with a skimmer. The main thing about temp. is no sudden ups or downs. I am not to good with C temps so I don't really know what your temp. is. Main thing is that it does not go over 85-86 degrees. I think that the dead fish started your cycle. Add a very small coctail shrimp or just some fish food and see it your no2 will return to 0. if not monitor with your test kit until it does.

Thanx to all who welcome me...:D

Dear thincat,
i already put the fish food as u said and its seems like im going to wait for another week to see the result for No2..if im going to buy some live rock to put in my tank, is it okay..?? or am i going to fast to go for FOWLR..??:cool: from my research and reading, i believe that live rock can help in controling the ammonia,No2, n No3 in a tank..(correct me if im wrong)..
since im in a WIP of building my sump/refuge/overflow system, im plannnig on FOWLR tank...sorry for the difficulties...

Thanx in advance to all.....

Good job so far. Yes test in ~ a week would be fine. you should add the live rock now. Be sure if it's not fully cured to scrub off the dead material or you will start another cycle.
The live rock is one of the best filter available today.
PS: take your time and have fun!!! lol

Thx bro thincat....already bought live rock...im doing DIY overflow system(because its hard to find already made sump), the water is now cycle...so, i'l update my test result next week...thanx bro....

Add a sprinkle of fish food in about 3 days. Not much just a pinch then when the week is up test. Are you just now going to add the LR?

okay...yup im going to add LR.....is there any problem if i add the LR now...???or i've to wait until the water cycle done...???

Add it the sooner the better. If there is any die off it will put you into another mini-cycle. Other then that I see no problems.

okay..already put this LR but i not put it in my tank..i put it in my sump system...is that okay coz i saw someone did it before..do i have to put any other thing.? i tried to find shrimp here but cant...at my LFS its not for sale..its for their own use..maybe i need to ask them to order it for me later..anyway, how do i wanna know if the LR had die material..???owh.....i already calcute my temp....if its 30'C, its equal to 86'F....i need to put some bagpack ice in my sump tank so that the temp maintain 29'C or 84.2'F

Yes, having it in your sump is fine. 30'C is to high, 29'C in not great but it's okay. I can't believe that you can't get a raw shrimp in Malasia. Try your supermarket or fishermans wharf.
The best way is to smell it. If it smells like the ocean you are okay. If it smells aweful then it has die off. Your test kit will be your best tool. Check for ammonia. If that is 0 test your nitrites. If you have nitrites you had ammonia.. the two go hand in hand and the nitrites hang around a little longer. If both are good wait a few days and you should be good to go.
Good luck you are doing great!!!

Back
Top Bottom