Newbie Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junebugd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm new to the community, but not to fish keeping. Currently I have a five gallon for my betta Freddie, and a 29 gallon community tank. I have acquired a used 46 gallon bowfront, complete with many extras to go with it, through a classified add. I have been doing research on setting up a cichlid tank (African) and fishless cycling. Just finished reading cycling info I found on the forum. I know some say that anything less than 55 gallons is too small for cichlids, but could a 46 work? I would appreciate any input from cichlid keepers. Is it true that overcrowding can keep down aggression? About how many 4 inch cichlids could I have. I am not really interested in raising babies, so is keeping all males possible? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really anxious to get started.

Thanks in advance,
junebugd

Welcome to AA! I don't think overcrowding keeps down aggression--but I could be wrong. I would think that more space and more hiding places is what keeps it down.

I know, that makes more sense to me, too. But I have read it somewhere. Probably what's wrong is that it's all starting to run together. Guess I need to get to the fishless cycling, then jump in with a few smaller ones and see what happens. Thank for the reply.

You're welcome. Before you decide on your stock, I'd wait for a cichlid expert to chime in. I know that many kinds are too large even for a 55...

I've been looking at the lfs. I love the color the cichlids offer. I probably need to keep to some that stay at 4 inches or less. Maybe someone with experience will chime in. Do you have a community tank?

Yeah, my experience is more in community fish and schoolers. =]

Back
Top Bottom