NEWBIE! - Hey Everyone! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mzbrooklyn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just another newbie introduction...

Hi there!
I'm Brooklyn, I'm 25 years old and live in Melbourne, Australia.
I'm currently a full time student (Diploma of Youth Work)

I have 4 fish children. :fish2:
3 Rosy Barbs (1 female and 2 males)
and the newest addition to the tank is a little Bristlenose Catfish
(Also used to have a Ramshorn Snail but sadly he's no longer with us. :sad:)

So anyway... That's me. :)

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to even read this!
Hope you all have a great day.

Brooklyn :cat: xo

OH YEAH!
PS; Would getting another female Rosy Barb help with the whole Alpha Male battle I've got going on at the moment? I can only assume that introducing another female (to give both males a lady friend) wouldn't be such a bad idea... Right?! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey I did some research for you. Apprently it is recommended to at least keep five in a group.

From live aquaria: "The Rosy Barb is a schooling fish and enjoys being in numbers. If in a large enough school, they typically will not bother any other fish in the aquarium.

It is best, when trying to breed the Rosy Barb, to house two females with one male. Provide a coarse gravel in the breeding tank and after the eggs have been laid, remove the parents. The fry will hatch in approximately 3 days, at which time, they should be fed baby brine shrimp until large enough to accept crushed flake food."

From wikipedia: "They are best kept in groups of 5 or more in an aquarium with a length of at least 30 inches. They usually reach a maximum size of four inches. Using a dark-colored gravel will show off the color of the fish."
Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish: Rosy Barb, Male

Rosy barb best gender ratio [Archive] - Practical Fishkeeping Forum

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/male-to-female-ratio-15389.html

AqAdvisor is a good website to use when stocking (though it can be a little off sometimes).

Personally, I have never kept barbs (because I've heard they like to nip fins) but if they are anything like my guppies and mollies the suggested gender ratio is at least 2 females for every one male. For my mollies I keep five females for my one male. and for my guppies at least 2 to one gender ratio (though I'm about to change this to one gender tanks because i'm battling a huge population explosion. Guppies though can be in single gender groups though and exist happily as long as they are in large enough numbers and kept in odd numbers to spread out aggresion.....at least that is what is recommended for male only tanks.

GuppyGuy333: I have read all the same stuff but as I only have a tiny tank (26L I think?) and have had numerous previously failed attempts with fish (the levels in the water dramatically changing and not being able to safely get them back down without killing the fish) with all sorts of different sorts of fish, I asked around, found a place where the person ACTUALLY knows about fish (their health, not just selling them lol) and they recommended the barbs because they are super easy to keep happy and healthy.... they weren't mature (or something?) when I got them so it wasn't until a few weeks later that we even found out it was 2 males and a female....

I'm not trying to breed them, just trying to get my males to stop fighting and to give my female a break lol

Back
Top Bottom