Newbie in NZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shona

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi thereJust a quick introduction. I adopted three tiny goldfish who arrived in a bowl.
It was actually distressing me to watch them so I went out and bought a 70 litre tank. A month has passed and I have already chosen to get them a larger tank of about 215 litres which I will allow to cycle first and then move my goldies into. Hoping it doesn't take too long as I am amazed at how much they have grown in a month. They have gone from being tiny (just over 2.4cm to approximately 5 cms in a space of 4 weeks.)
Two weeks ago I was given a fourth goldfish which is what finally prompted me to get a larger tank.
They are happy little fish and I am hoping they stay that way.
My goldies are
A fantail called Sam
A translucent ryukin (I think) called Merry
A comet called Pippin (he follows Merry around) and
My latest addition who is a blackmoor called Aragorn

I have read about and am aware that the single tail kind can sometimes trouble the fancies especially the blackmoor but at the moment it is looking like the ryukin and the blackmoor share the king of the hill status and appear to be really protective of the other two.

I am doing 30% water changes every other day as the tank was cycling with the goldies. So far so good.
0.25 ammonia (I monitor this closely and use Prime to condition the water changes)
0 Nitrites
7.2 ph
Have not checked nitrates

The plan is to build a pond for the comet over the next year as he gets larger and get him some single tail finned friends.

The other three will stay in the new tank.
Not sure what I will do with the 70 litre once it is empty.

Any feedback about what else I can do would be super helpful as I am a complete novice at this.

Thanks for reading my intro
Shona

So glad you thought to save them from life in a bowl..that always makes me so sad..once a friends son won a goldie at a festival and he has an 80gal tank to himself:)
not sure what the liters convert to in gallons, but have you thought of a small tropical community? there are Many options and many easy care and hearty fish to choose from:) and i find my tropical community very entertaining and relaxing. And they all "greet" me just like our gold fish too:) good luck!

megsfish said:
So glad you thought to save them from life in a bowl..that always makes me so sad..once a friends son won a goldie at a festival and he has an 80gal tank to himself:)
not sure what the liters convert to in gallons, but have you thought of a small tropical community? there are Many options and many easy care and hearty fish to choose from:) and i find my tropical community very entertaining and relaxing. And they all "greet" me just like our gold fish too:) good luck!

Thanks megsfish. I think 215 litres converts to 58 gallons.
Got the new tank yesterday and am going to set it up and start the cycling process after work tomorrow. Sincerely hoping I don't mess it up by losing patience.
Once my goldies have moved into their new tank I am thinking of getting a Betta for the 70 litre. That I think is 20gallons. But I expect that this will happen in a month or more. So not thinking about it for now.
Just eager to get the fishless cycle started and am also really nervous about getting it wrong.

Shona said:
Thanks megsfish. I think 215 litres converts to 58 gallons.
Got the new tank yesterday and am going to set it up and start the cycling process after work tomorrow. Sincerely hoping I don't mess it up by losing patience.
Once my goldies have moved into their new tank I am thinking of getting a Betta for the 70 litre. That I think is 20gallons. But I expect that this will happen in a month or more. So not thinking about it for now.
Just eager to get the fishless cycle started and am also really nervous about getting it wrong.

Congratulations on giving the fish a better home.

How do you plan on cycling your new tank?

Have you read about the nitrogen cycle?

I fishless cycled my 50g with laboratory ammonia. I highly recommend it.

Jon

jondamon said:
Congratulations on giving the fish a better home.

How do you plan on cycling your new tank?

Have you read about the nitrogen cycle?

I fishless cycled my 50g with laboratory ammonia. I highly recommend it.

Jon

Yup been reading up on the nitrogen cycle for weeks now (that's why I am nervous about it) I think I understand the theory but a little wary of applying it.
I will be trying to source the ammonia tomorrow as not sure where I would get some from.
I have an API water test kit and have already tested my tap water so I know my base levels

In case I don't find any ammonia I was told I can drop some fresh seafood into the tank?? Gonna look into this a little bit more.
Sorry I am a complete beginner at all this and not sure I even know the jargon yet lol.

melosu58 said:
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Thanks, I look forward to learning heaps about ensuring my goldies have a healthy and happy life. I will put up pictures once my tank is cycled and the goldies have been moved in.

Back
Top Bottom