Newbie looking for sump ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wapparia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
Everyone.

just stumbled across this site and found some of the threads usefull so thought i would join up myself.

i am an enthusiastic saltwater fish keeper with a 50 g tank and am looking to build a sump joing onto the tank. this is were i need the advice which i hope i will get from this website.

i have built the overflow of my tank and the water runs down through bioballs into a free flow pipe into the sump. this is were i am puzzled. I have a bubble trap which then leads into a refugium which i dont know the best media to fill the refugium with. i have so far decided to place caulerpa algae, some live rock and coral sand in. i will have a light on for around 16 hours of the day.

i am looking for advice because i have read up on miracle mud, grape algae, mangroves and other medias and i am wondering what is the best media to use in my refugium :)

Grape algae can go sexual and really mess up the thank some people have luck by keeping their fuge light on all the time. Miracle mud I don't know about since one person will say it is great and another will say it is a waste of money. Chaeto for the Reef Aquarium - What is Chaeto Might be an option for you. Ask around in your area someone might have some they need to get rid of cheap or free

thanks for replying :)

from what i have discovered out using caulerpa, live rock and sand. will this work or am i missing something vital. i am just concerned that i set my refugium up using this method and i miss something vital and my sump was a waste of my time and money except to get bigger mass of water :). since i decided on bio balls also every were i read they say they have taken them out because they don't work. Does anybody think they work and will they harm my tank. Thanks for the guidance.

Back
Top Bottom