Newbie Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemodos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi people,

found this site after searching the web. So, because it is the first time I´ve ever had an aquarium (my wife persuaded me) I thought it important to maybe find out a few things?

Must say though, our first fish, a lovely male betta, died after only two days.

Then after asking questions at our local shop, we bought Señor Nemo Dos, again a Betta male, who after only a few days, comes to the front glass to "say" hello, etc.

Now, we have a 20 liter tank, with heater at a constant 27C. BioBox pump and filters and a water stone to oxygenate the water.

We do a partial water change (about a liter) every three days, including washing the filters.

This all seems to be working fine BUT the water still coats the various bits with slime, this includes the decorative bits. We have some live plants and a couple of silk decorative ones, together with some stones and a rock with holes, to let him explore, etc.

So, does anybody know of a treatment to get rid of this slime without harming Señor Nemo, of course??

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to AA!
Is the slime that you are talking about clear? If so, this is completely normal and can harbor good bacteria for the fish. Do you test the water parameters? If so, what are your most recent readings?

Welcome to AA!
Is the slime that you are talking about clear? If so, this is completely normal and can harbor good bacteria for the fish. Do you test the water parameters? If so, what are your most recent readings?

Hi GreenLily,

thanks for replying. Yes, the slime is clear, so good news I guess!

I have some litmus type strips, very pricey. I am a learner but they show the pH to be spot on by comparison to the master but the rest confuses me slightly?

However, what I am doing must be sort of OK because Señor Nemo (Betta) seems very happy and greets us every morning with a display of chasing around with excitement, waiting for breakfast!!

The slime is normal assuming you can't see it. It's just a biofilm that grows over everything.

One thing to point out, stop cleaning the filter. That is what is going to hold your beneficial bacteria and continuous cleaning of it can be detrimental to a cycling tank.

Congrats on the betta :) Post pics when you get a chance!

So just in case, I've included a couple of links to fish-in cycling. The litmus strips can often be wrong compared to the liquid test, particularly I find for nitrite and nitrate and may not have an ammonia test which you want. I not sure if you have both litmus and liquid mast test kits (link below to the api one)? Post your readings if you want anyone to take a look.

Welcome to API Fishcare: Freshwater Master Test Kit

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

The slime is normal assuming you can't see it. It's just a biofilm that grows over everything.

One thing to point out, stop cleaning the filter. That is what is going to hold your beneficial bacteria and continuous cleaning of it can be detrimental to a cycling tank.

I appreciate that comment re. the filter, Mebbid. I have the BioBox system and the manufacturer gives the times to change the filters, there are 3 in my kit.
I have been washing the filters but will cease in future.

I appreciate that comment re. the filter, Mebbid. I have the BioBox system and the manufacturer gives the times to change the filters, there are 3 in my kit.
I have been washing the filters but will cease in future.

Of course they tell you times to change the filters. That is the only way they will continue making money off of you. The only time you need to change the filter media is when it is literally disintegrating. Regardless of what any filter manufacturer is telling you.

Congrats on the betta :) Post pics when you get a chance!

So just in case, I've included a couple of links to fish-in cycling. The litmus strips can often be wrong compared to the liquid test, particularly I find for nitrite and nitrate and may not have an ammonia test which you want. I not sure if you have both litmus and liquid mast test kits (link below to the api one)? Post your readings if you want anyone to take a look.

Welcome to API Fishcare: Freshwater Master Test Kit

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Post pics. Oh dear, can anyone advise the procedure please?

Are you on phone or computer?

On the iPhone I've got a camera, photo album and bird symbol below the text I type on a message, just click on photo album and then the photos you want I believe.

I've got no idea what the bird symbol does lol, I thought it was twitter.

Are you on phone or computer?

On the iPhone I've got a camera, photo album and bird symbol below the text I type on a message, just click on photo album and then the photos you want I believe.

I've got no idea what the bird symbol does lol, I thought it was twitter.

I have a computer. I think the procedure is something like send the picture to a site that stores the pic. in the required format then I can transfer the image to the forum---- I THINK???

Back
Top Bottom