Newbie to site w/ some questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all... I found this site through Google and thought it looked like a good place to get some of my questions answered. I've had my first tank here for just about one year and I've noticed that some of the fish I've purchased, which I usually buy in at least quantities of 2 or more, have noticible size differences over time. When I buy the fish, they are close to the same small size. Over time, one seems to grow quite a bit while the other seems to not grow hardly at all. The fish I've really noticed this with is my Albino Chinese Algae Eaters, Albino Cory Cats, as well as my Albino Rainbow Sharks. (I have 2 of each of these kinds of fish) The smaller fish in these pairs seems to hardly have grown at all since I bought them and the larger one's seem to have doubled or almost tripled in size. I know that sex can dictate the size of the fish sometimes but I'm not sure how to tell one sex from the other in any of these species. All of the small one's look identical to the larger one's other than the Chinese Algae Eaters. The small one seems to have more of a brownish tinted body behind the head while the larger one has the typical pinkish/orangish body color. Once again, I'm sorta new to the aquarium thing but I am interested in learning more. If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate any help.

Welcome to AA. There are many reasons why fish grow at different rates. As you noted sex can be one reason. Also is one fish eating more than the other as far as you can tell? With cory's and algae eaters, feeding algae wafers just after lights out increases the odds everyone will get their fair share. You can also put cucumbers and zucchini in the tank for them, they love it! The fish may be from different parents having differnt metabolic traits as well. I'd love to see some pictures if possible.

You will find this site very informative and addicting.

I don't know the reason they're growing at different rates but I was just curious. I'll try and get some pictures up here sometime of my fish. I think I have too many in my tank now anyway and I need to get rid of some. I have some people at work that I can give some to. I've heard that you should only have approx. one inch of fish per gallon in the aquarium.... anyone else have any input on that? As for the cucumber and zucchini, do I just chop them up into tiny bits or what? Raw, cooked? I've fed the bottom feeders shrimp pellets and they seem to eat those ok but I think I'll pick up some algae wafers today. I've also noticed that my Striped Rapael Catfish only comes out at night so he'll probably benefit from the algae wafers as well. He pretty much stays tucked away under the cover I've provided for him. The only times I see him is at night well after the lights in the tank are out, and when I first get up in the morning he's out... that's it. I also feed my fish Brine Shrimp every now and then... they LOVE those and they don't last long after I pour them in. The fish store in Gainesville sells bags of live ones for $1. Again, thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll be opening more topics later in the freshwater tank sections.

The general rule of thumb is 1" per gallon. But that is dependant on the types of fish, how often you do water changes etc. There are many threads on this site that discuss this.
Here is a really good article about feeding veggies to your fish. I usually slice the cuke and zuc take out the seeds, blanch and attach to a veggie clip. I just gave mine some canteloupe last night, they went nuts for it!
My striped raphael catfish only comes out at night also. In addition to brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms are also a favorite.
What size of tank and what inhabitants?

I'll have to give the fruits and veggies a try... I've never heard of that before. I also give them freeze dried bloodworms now and then and they enjoy them as well. I did buy some algae wafers today at the fish store so tonight I'll try them out.
As far as my tank and it's contents... I have a 29 gallon tall tank and I have (2) Bala Sharks, (2) Albino Chinese Algae Eaters, (2) Albino Cory Cats, (2) Albino Rainbow Sharks, (6) Tiger Barbs, (1) Striped Raphael Catfish, (1) Ghost Knife, (1) Silver Molly, (5) Tetras... can't remember the name of them though (2 different species of them), and one ordinary wild minnow from a pond I was fishing in. I caught quite a few really small minnows for fish food and this one somehow happened to survive the feeding frenzy and now he's thriving quite well with all the other fish. I want to get a Pleco but I am planning on getting rid of some of these fish first.
I actually got this tank from a good friend of mine's father who was just going to throw it away because he didn't want it anymore (nothing was in it). I was helping him move some stuff and I asked if I could have it. It was just before Christmas last year and I thought it would make a good Christmas present for my 2 daughters (ages 9 & 4). So.... that is how I ended up getting into the fish/aquarium stuff. I live out in the country and we are on well water. I've taken samples into the fish stores and they've told me everything is perfectly ok in the water and we've had no problems for quite a while. I can't even remember how long it's been since I've lost a fish.... it's been months and months, probably around 6 or so. We did the Neon Tetra thing and that didn't turn out too well... neither did the Tequila Sunrise Guppies or any of the other "bottom of the foodchain fish" as I like to call them now. I've been told that now by others. All of the fish in my tank seem to get along just fine now (for the most part). Ahhh, almost forgot... any info on snails? I'd like to have A COUPLE but I've heard so many horror stories about how they keep mulitiplying and multiplying. I have a friend that absolutely can not get rid of them... they just keep coming back... in hordes!!! I hear they keep the tank really clean though.

Back
Top Bottom