Newbie with a 275 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sjameson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I've joined to get advice on the best way to set up my new tank, much much larger than I've dealt with before. I'd like to lightly plant so I'm trying to decide/learn the best(most cost effective too) gravel and substrate to use. I also need a little help with stocking, I have some ideas I just want to verify they will get along and how many.

Killifish
Bosamani Rainbows
Threadfin Rainbows
Longfin Danios
Guoramis
Angels
Kuhuli Loach
Knife
Bala Shark

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello and Welcome!

When I started my first planted tank I had no money. So I went with playground sand from the Home Depot. It was cheap, and I never should have taken it out! It was awesome! Although it took a lot of work to get it clean enough to use. In my opinion it acted just like a natural river bed and held a lot of nutrients once the fertilizing was done. Since I stopped using it I have tried other substrates and have found myself severely disappointed with most of them. Fluval stratum in my shrimp tanks is cool but very hard to plant in. Very expensive. I have two tanks that have pool filter sand, but I don't like the look as much as I did the play sand. I do really enjoy using fluorite black. Sand or rock. Both are cool, but can be pricey. I just tried potting soil for the first time a few weeks ago, not for the timid......

As for the fish you mentioned I can only say very little. They should all do fine together with exception of the angels and Guoramis. But in that size tank even they should do just fine. But I am not the fish expert...let someone else with more experience tell you.

Oh! one more thing....do some research on this....Flourite is cool...I like it....but I have recently learned that people are using oil dri from Home Depot. The same stuff just far less than half the price! I don't like the color though, so use it on the bottom with a nice cap over it. I haven't tried it yet but I will next year...thats when the wife will let me set up tank number 8.

Thank you! I was just reading about the play sand and was hoping to hear from someone about how that worked out! So the sand first, then the fluorite? Correct?

As far as my fish, that was also exactly what I was wondering... Larger tank size, so you don't have to worry so much about fish not getting along? And also, to clarify, angels and Guoramis don't get along?

Also do I need to post in a different area, or am I okay?

Thanks!! :)

Thank you! I was just reading about the play sand and was hoping to hear from someone about how that worked out! So the sand first, then the fluorite? Correct?

As far as my fish, that was also exactly what I was wondering... Larger tank size, so you don't have to worry so much about fish not getting along? And also, to clarify, angels and Guoramis don't get along?

Also do I need to post in a different area, or am I okay?

Thanks!! :)

Bala's! what are the dimensions? over 6' long I assume? Balas and clown loaches would do great.

I think where you are posting is fine. Especially if it's a planted tank.

When I did sand I laid down a one inch layer of fluorite first, then 3-4 inches of sand over it.

It's not that angels and guoramis don't get along it's just MY experience that the are dominant fish and take over. Angels more so than the guoramis. I've decided never to do angels again unless it is a species only tank. again....not a fish expert...its just been my experience. But I also believe in a tank that large all the fish on your list will do happily together. Just don't overstock.

Thank you for your help! I'm going to look into the oil dri too!

Back
Top Bottom