Newbie with a tank - so many questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manisinghb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Firstly to introduce myself, my name's Mani and I'm from London (born and bred =D). I've come here for ongoing advice as I've dug out my old 70L tank and decided to delve back into the fish community. I say 'delve' back but that doesn't make me a professional by any standards. Last I kept the fish I did no research and then ran off to uni leaving my mum and sister the tank and of course having to give the fish away in the end. So this time I'm hoping a lot of research before even buying the fish will help a long way. I've already decided upon the fish, what do you guys think..

6 x neon tetras
1 x male Siamese Betta fighting fish
2 x otocinclus
3 x platy
3 x Malawi cichlids
MAYBE 1 or 2 cherry shrimp

Would this be ok for a 70L 60cm tank?

Also, I am planning on doing a fishless cycle. I was thinking to follow the conventional methodology but add some Tetra Safestart along with some ammonia (for the bacteria to thrive on), do you think this would work in terms of achieving a good biological cycle along with a jump start?

Finally, I'm fascinated with aquatic plants but reading mixed opinions on whether to add the plants before or during the fishless cycle?

In advance, all your inputs and opinions matter and will teach me as well as others venturing into this community a whole load - hoping to learn loads! =)

Too many fish and not compatible.

Malawi cichlids have hard, alkaline water requirements and are highly aggressive. They do not belong in a community tank. The betta might eat the shrimp.

70L is big enough for about 46cm of adult fish length.

I recollect reading somewhere about the Betta and shrimp problem though some people say they have kept them together and have been fine, I guess there's the little draw of luck there as well? Nevertheless I think as I'm having second thoughts I will deduct them from the package.

If I were to deduct the shrimp and cichlids and keep the tetra, Betta, otocinclus, and maybe up the amount of platy from 3 to 5/6?

PS - what would zebra danio or dwarf gourami be like in this setup?

Betta and a dwarf gourami are closely related and one will kill the other. I highly recommend you spend some time reading up on each species you desire and plugging your stocking choices into aqadvisor.com to gain a better understanding of what you can stock in your tank. Platties breed like rabbits and have live young, you know... Which provides your betta a live food source but it may upset you to see this.

Thanks for the heads up there will definitely look in to it!

Any input on the plants enquiries guys as per my OP?

The oto cats are fairly difficult to keep in a new aquarium. I would increase their number up to 4 and add them after the tank has been running fully cycled for a month or two. Other than that it looks good.

As for plants:
Anubias, java moss, java fern, bolbitis, and some crypts would be your best bet.

Here is a link with a list of low light plants
Excellent List of Low Light Plants

[ QUOTE=Mebbid;2791594]The oto cats are fairly difficult to keep in a new aquarium. I would increase their number up to 4 and add them after the tank has been running fully cycled for a month or two. Other than that it looks good.

As for plants:
Anubias, java moss, java fern, bolbitis, and some crypts would be your best bet.

Here is a link with a list of low light plants
Excellent List of Low Light Plants[/QUOTE]

I think I can wait a month or two to add the oto cats :) how about the zebra danios? Will they go well in this setup? Again differing opinions around about how they will act with the Betta.

as for the plants thank u for the list and the link, very comprehensive! I really have my heart set on the riccia, weeping moss, Marimo moss balls and limnophila sessiflora. But again I'd really appreciate a list of some easy to keep plants as it's the first time I'll be venturing into the aquatic plant world.

My only experience with danios so far is that they can be nippy jerks. Someone with a bit more experience keeping them might chime in though.

What's the general consensus about doing a fishless cycle with the plants in the tank?

But would the zebra danios settle in a 70L tank with tetras and betta's?

Agreed =) just that I have heard (even on this thread) that danios have a 'high energy level'

I added 9 danios to my community tank last summer. I wasn't really struck on them but walked into the store wanting some new fish and these little guys were on for 79 cents each! Sold! Now that I have them, I love them! They are very entertaining, very active fish. I think you'd enjoy them!!!

Thanks FishyNovice some wonderful thoughts there. I admit I fell in love with the danios at the LFS - great personalities! But after reading around a bit I would feel wrong introducing this species into what may be too a small tank for them - maybe in the future after an upgrade.

Thanks FishyNovice some wonderful thoughts there. I admit I fell in love with the danios at the LFS - great personalities! But after reading around a bit I would feel wrong introducing this species into what may be too a small tank for them - maybe in the future after an upgrade.

I'm not sure how many gallons 70L is... 15 gallons? I have mine in a 26 gallon. You're right they may harass the other fish, they are trouble makers!! I just added a betta log to my tank and that seems to be danio head quarters now!
And no problem!! Let us know what you decide to go with in the end!!! :)

I'm not sure how many gallons 70L is... 15 gallons? I have mine in a 26 gallon. You're right they may harass the other fish, they are trouble makers!! I just added a betta log to my tank and that seems to be danio head quarters now!
And no problem!! Let us know what you decide to go with in the end!!! :)

70 litres is
18.492 US gallons

:)

^^ yup although I did do a proper measurement of my tank and it is actually 72 litres which is
19.02 US gallons
15.83 UK gallons

Back
Top Bottom