newbie with very sick guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newtropicaltank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new on here & urgently need help! I've had my 95L tank since jan & have 5 tiger barbs, 4 zebra danios & 5 male guppies. all water tests are fine but tonight one of guppies looks like it's had an electric shock! it's tail is really badly frayed. I've took him out the tank but can't see him making it through the night. I have photos but unsure how to upload them on here, just wondering if anyone has any advice, if this has been caused by a fight, accident or if it is an illness? I am concerned that my other guppies seem less colourful than normal. the barbs & danios are all well. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

I'm guessing the tiger barbs are tearing it up. They are very nippy and I wouldn't keep them with any fish with flowing fins. You should ask about this over in the freshwater section so more people will see it. From the sound of it though, I'm pretty sure it's from one of those barbs. How big is your tank?

+1 on the tiger barbs. Your other fish are peaceful community fish; most barbs are aggressive.

Welcome to AA :)

I would agree with the others. Tiger barbs can be quite nippy, especially in small tanks and when they aren't in groups of 5 or more.

You do have a 25g though, and 5 tiger barbs... have you ever witnessed any aggression before, since you set up the tank?

Gotta agree the tigar barbs I had one that suddenly started attacking the other fish, until it ran into my Jack Dempsy didn't end so well for the Tiger Barb.
Welcome by the way!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. All my guppies got really sick, think it was actually fin rot & sadly all are now away to the pond in the sky!

I bought medicine & aquarium salt but only used half the dose cause of my Black Ghost Knife (sorry I don't think I included this in my previous posting, also have an Apple Snail too!) & none of the others seem to show any symptoms. Would they show signs by now if they were infected?

The Tiger Barbs were the first 3 fish I bought & nipped each other terribly so I went back to the pet store & bought more & they stopped immediately.
I've never noticed them annoying any of the other fish, they did seem pretty intrigued with the BGK to begin with & now seem to love him & his bloodworms each night! The guppies seemed to nip each other constantly even though they were in a school of 5, is that normal?

I would like to get a few more fish in future, any suggestions as to what would be compatible?

many thanks

1 x BGK
5 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Zebra Danios
1 x Apple Snail

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-1122487145.jpg
    image-1122487145.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 90
id say that was finrot. my last guppies were attacked by a molly (i saw), and they lost that "spining" of the tail.
sorry about it :(

for your question, id say tetras, like neons. these are target fish and are good for distracting any agressive fish while not being too upset about it.

good luck!

I'm really sorry about your guppies. If you get more tankmates, I'd suggest barbs. Cherry barbs are nice!

Back
Top Bottom