Newest Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonRemigio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had taken care of three aquariums. This is my most recent one. My nitrate and nitrites are low at 0 to 20 ppm and my my ammonia level is now at 4 ppm. My pH is at 7.5 to 8.0 my general hardness at 60 to 120 ppm carbonate hardness is at 120 to 180 ppm. Specifically nitrites at 0 to 0.5 ppm and nitrates at 0 to 20 ppm. Contain 1 live rock, 1 driftwood, 1 Amazon Sword live plant and 1 Java Fern. 1 Bushynose Plecostomus, 1 Trinidad Plecostomus, 1 Neon Blue Gourami, 2 Ryukin Goldfish, 3 Cory catfish, the aquarium has white deposits what do you think I should do?

Attachments

• E66A9F95-6EA8-400A-B8AC-45C7F58F0102.jpg
    E66A9F95-6EA8-400A-B8AC-45C7F58F0102.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 48
Hi welcome to the community!

What size is your tank?

What additives are you using?

If you have any NitrItes, you should do a 50% pwc, test, and if you still have Nitrites, do another! Nitrites can cause internal organ damage which can cause illness or death up to around 3 weeks later!

Your ammonia is high as well. You need multiple water changes. Your tank looks like it's in a bacteria bloom.

Thanks

I did 20% water change, change my power filter. Washed out plastic decorations. I also added a submersible filter up to 40 gallons. It doesn’t require water change every week when having successful planted aquarium. I had struggling with this figuring this out. I’ll take a photo to see what happens after I treated with water Accu-Clear, Stress Coat, AmmoLock, Nitrified Ready Booster, and Cycling Start. I lost 3 Snake Barb fishes. Dispose of it from adding ammonia to the water.

What size is the tank?

Probably need a larger water change and to test for actual amounts of ammonia Nitrite and nitrate.

Goldfish have a ton of waste and pollute the water. Likely need different water conditions from most the other fish since they are "cold" water fish not tropical.

What size is your tank? There's a big difference in water quality when speaking about smaller and larger tanks and when or how much water to change.

36 gallon bow front aquarium

I placed an 40 gallon In Filter submersible power filter

Attachments

• 79B66049-3F7D-4672-9305-2ECAE7B56280.jpg
    79B66049-3F7D-4672-9305-2ECAE7B56280.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 34
IMO, you need to double your filtration and change 50% of the water weekly. Including a light gravel vacuum every water change.

I’m using Marineland 20 to 30 gallon 150 gph Power Filter w/Multi-Stage Filtration and added Aqueon Quietflow E Internal Power Filter up to 40 gallons. You see it in the picture and you see the tail end for the other power filter. Amazon Sword plant planted the back of the aquarium on the right side and Java Fern planted in the middle of the aquarium on the left side and are soiled with Carb Sea Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate. The rest under are red plastic fake gravel as substrate. That’s why it’s messy.

Oh sorry I didn't realize you had two. You will lose a little gph when you add your media but you also lose gallons of water in the tank with substrate and decorations/plants. I'm guessing your probably at 8X tank turnover an hour. I would shoot for 10-12 but if you aren't having problems with water quality at it's working I wouldn't mess with it. You may just need to do more water changes or bigger water changes with a light gravel vac every time.

Oh sorry I didn't realize you had two. You will lose a little gph when you add your media but you also lose gallons of water in the tank with substrate and decorations/plants. I'm guessing your probably at 8X tank turnover an hour. I would shoot for 10-12 but if you aren't having problems with water quality at it's working I wouldn't mess with it. You may just need to do more water changes or bigger water changes with a light gravel vac every time.

Yes, I tested in order to remove the bacterial bloom floating on the water and falling on the gravel substrate I need to vacuum. I’m waiting tomorrow for another device to clean this up. And the vacuum I don’t available but it will be coming Saturday.

Hi welcome to the community!

What size is your tank?

What additives are you using?

If you have any NitrItes, you should do a 50% pwc, test, and if you still have Nitrites, do another! Nitrites can cause internal organ damage which can cause illness or death up to around 3 weeks later!

I tested the water General Hardness 120 KH 40/80 pH 7.5 NO2 0 NO3 0 NH3/NH4 8+ ppm

Attachments

• A8CD4A69-AE82-48FC-B1B8-56BE6A16372F.jpg
    A8CD4A69-AE82-48FC-B1B8-56BE6A16372F.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 31
The Goldfish should have a tank of their own. They like cooler water and eat a bunch and poop a bunch, and they for sure need about a 40 gallon tank with the 10x the gallons per hour filter turnover.

Here is a link for a noteworthy thread on Goldies. The goldy in the picture is extremely well cared for and fed great foods and gets huge pwc, like for champion fish type care. See how huge they can get?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Last edited:
The Goldfish should have a tank of their own. They like cooler water and eat a bunch and poop a bunch, and they for sure need about a 40 gallon tank with the 10x the gallons per hour filter turnover.

Here is a link for a noteworthy thread on Goldies. The goldy in the picture is extremely well cared for and fed great foods and gets huge pwc, like for champion fish type care. See how huge they can get?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

For sure they gave me the Red & White Ryukin Goldfish. Minimum is 30 gallons for them. Yeah they create a mess always have to clean up a lot. My mother doesn’t know what she is talking about. She wanted to get a smaller tank. I do have a 70 gallon tank but the fish died. I had three lasted three to five years without dying. I would have to get a new stand.

Back
Top Bottom