Newish 20 gallon aquarium and 5 gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lejin2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a 20 gallon aquarium that has 6 cherry barbs, 2 dalmation mollies, and some ghost shrimp. I also have a 5 gallon betta tank. Both tanks are about 3 weeks old and still cycling under my VERY vigilant eye and water change schedule. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392584049.016327.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392584096.177630.jpg

Thanks! Question about the shrimp though. I've had some of the original ones die/ get eaten (the betta when housed with shrimp DID NOT like them). I try to fish out the ... Corpses or parts of them as soon as I see them, but sometimes I don't catch them for a bit, especially with all the hides and plants. How much ammonia will the dead ones release? I do fish counts 2x a day and so far everyone is doing really well, but it's hard to find the shrimp all the time.

Also, I did a 15% water change today and the ammonia was 0.5ppm and 4ppm nitrates. This was the first time I have ever shown nitrates, so good, but I have never had ANY nitrites. So how did that happen? Should I retest?

(And FYI my tap water has naturally .25 or so ppm ammonia in it).

Thanks guys!!!

Sometimes the beeta will just kill just make sure when u see a dead one take it out it won't be a massive problem

The dead shrimp shouldn't be that much o a problem though make sure there dead and that they didn't molt. Shrimp need to eat the exoskeleton if they do molt

Back
Top Bottom