Nitrates in uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

horseybean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just put water in a used tank. Haven't added fish or ammonia, just declorinator. I have washed the gravel and am reusing it. Tested the water today and there are nitrates in it, but no ammonia or nitrites. I tested the tap water and it is 0 across the board. What could be causing this? How will it affect my cycle, as there is no possible way it could be done yet. Only had water in for a couple days and never added ammonia. I'm using the API liquid test kit as recommended. Any input is appreciated!

Thank you. I guess my main question is how is this going to affect the cycle. I don't have any plants, and I tested the tap water separately. The gravel hadn't been used for a couple years, so not sure if that could be the source. I should have 0 nitrates, nitrites and ammonia to start with, correct? That shouldn't change until I add ammonia? Is it advisable to put my betta in there? I have him in a separate tank by himself, but was hoping to incorporate him into my community. The betta is all I have so far.

Thank you. I guess my main question is how is this going to affect the cycle. I don't have any plants, and I tested the tap water separately. The gravel hadn't been used for a couple years, so not sure if that could be the source. I should have 0 nitrates, nitrites and ammonia to start with, correct? That shouldn't change until I add ammonia? Is it advisable to put my betta in there? I have him in a separate tank by himself, but was hoping to incorporate him into my community. The betta is all I have so far.

I would still cycle it and you can boost it with the filter pad that's in the Betta tank. Your correct about the water perimeters. So I'd hold off on adding him into the tank so soon.

Back
Top Bottom