No experience, lots of good will

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunlioness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,

My name is Alex and I live in London. In the beginning of July I moved into the flat that a friend of mine used to live and she left me her aquarium and fish which she had for more than eight years and probably grew tired of.

I had no experience whatsoever but I decided that I'll take seriously my new responsibility. I read a few books and a lot of online content and to be honest, I'm already confused as there's a lot of contradictory info out there. One thing that I didn't expect is that I would come to appreciate my fish so much as pets/companions. I was always more of a cat/dog person and I could never understand why people keep fish other than having them as ornaments. I can say now, I'm converted!

My aquarium is a JUWEL of 63 liters and I have 5 swordtails (3 females, 2 males of which 1 is quite young - their ancestors were bought 8 years ago), an otocinclus (the lone survivor of 5 that my friend had bought a few months ago) and 4 mollies (2 white and 2 black) that I saw at an awful pet store and (yes I know, bad thinking) and I just had to take them home with me. I also noticed today a grey baby fry, probably a molly but not sure.

I've read quite a few online forums on the subject, I like this one the most. The community here seems quite friendly and I'm going to definitely need your advice but I hope that at some point I'll be able to contribute too.

Peace and good vibes,
Alexandra

Well, since no one has replied yet, I thought I would say hello and good luck! I think it is great that you and your new fish have eachother now.

Welcome to AA :welcome: It's okay that you impulse bought, we've all done it... As for your tank, hmm I'm thinking that it's around a 15 US gallon if my calculations are right. It's overstocked but I think that as long as you keep up with the water changes and watch the parameters you'll do great! If you want to keep that fry, remove it and out it in another container ASAP! Also do you have an API Master Kit? If not order one off of a website, it's cheaper that way;) Anyways welcome!

Hi guys and thanks for all the responses.

As for the aquarium being slightly overstocked, I am aware of that now :( (the guy at the pet shop said that I could buy one more!). All the swordtails except one are not mature I am thinking of finding somebody in London who keeps Otos so that my Oto could get company and be happier (also the mollies that I bought have ich now and I'm treating it with salt so I don't think he likes it).

I have a Tetra testing kit, plus a separate Nitrate one (and soon an oxygen test and hydrometer arriving through the post) so I'm keeping a close eye on the conditions. I used to have issues with high Nitrate but I realised that the filter was not working properly and now things have improved.

Also, I have two air-tubes with air-stones and I tried installing an air-disc but no success, I guess the air pressure is not enough for all 3 at the same time.

I suppose that if I keep testing and observing the conditions, I'll be able to prevent them from dying...

Back
Top Bottom