No idea what I'm doing. Basically.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one problem with Plecos is that they get too big for my tank, even the bristle nose. I'm not too fond of snails either, but I've heard combined with the shrimp they'd be a good algae clean up crew. I'm not sure what other alternatives for algae cleaners there are...until a couple days ago I had only heard of Plecos.

Check out the species thread in FW section, there's loads of options and I think they are just great. I have 2x pitbull plec's, reckon they get to about 3" and they are great little fella's

Well, the people at Petco and Petsmart are the WORST to trust, followed by people at the LFS. That's a general consensus on teh interwebs. We don't make any money off of you, they do. :lol:

Heh. I worked at Petco for a while, as long as you can find someone you TRUST you'll be okay.

My 2 cents on fish stores: ask loads of questions, make sure the answer jives with what you know. Don't be surprised if asking 7 associates gets you 5 different answers. Find out if they work on commission or hourly (or have personal sales quotas). Ask what tanks they keep. Learn their delivery, feeding, and cleaning schedules. It IS a bit of work, but it will pay off the 1st time your fish is sick and you want the right meds without waiting for delivery.

The one problem with Plecos is that they get too big for my tank, even the bristle nose. I'm not too fond of snails either, but I've heard combined with the shrimp they'd be a good algae clean up crew. I'm not sure what other alternatives for algae cleaners there are...until a couple days ago I had only heard of Plecos.

I was very fond of my Cory cats! :D There is also chemical methods (which I don't support) as well as more frequent water changes / less use of lighting.
...and plecos. :)

I have one that came with my tank, plus some extra. I talked (hah) to my Mom about transferring my tetras over to her tank, since eventually they'll get too big for it, but she flat-out refused and told me I was just being silly. She thinks this whole thing is silly and refuses to let me change more than 2 gallons a day, if that. She tells me I shouldn't even test my levels more than once every couple days.

Just keep in mind that once it’s cycled you don’t have to do water changes like that. If you can get some filter material (or gravel ) from another tank it will help a lot. I have a bunch of tanks with bio wheels and when I started my last tank I "rigged" it to spin around and "seed" my new tank with bacteria. Worked in about 9 days. Sometimes the process takes several weeks. Part of doing the testing is to let you know where you are in the process. One last thing I can’t say enough about the benefits of plants in an aquarium. They work like a filter (to a small degree) in the water also. If you want to see how I added bacteria to my tank click on my shameless YouTube plug here. http://youtu.be/8lhOXJpMD5w

I know its frustrating for people to tell you you’re being silly. :banghead: But science is on your side here. The more or less than 50% water change is hotly debated here and elsewhere. The main thing is that 1 it’s been de-chlorinated and 2 the temperature is very close to the water temp inside the tank already. The reason for this I was told was because it makes minimal changes to their environment. But you can do two separate 25% changes and get close to the same result. This is just my opinion. Truth is there is very little bacteria in the water itself, so pulling a lot out won’t hurt the biological process unless you get chlorine in there with the new water. If that happens you’re starting over.

Oww once your established Otocinclus are great little alge eaters, Shrimp are good to especialy if you have plants but the water has to be in good shape.

Could I put otos in a 10gal tank?

Also...I'm doing a fish-less cycle now that my Mom transferred the fish over, and someone on a different site is being really nice and offered to send me some hornwort for free. :) I'm hoping to get some wisteria, also.

So much more to read about plants...so confusing.

Could I put otos in a 10gal tank?

Also...I'm doing a fish-less cycle now that my Mom transferred the fish over, and someone on a different site is being really nice and offered to send me some hornwort for free. :) I'm hoping to get some wisteria, also.

So much more to read about plants...so confusing.

Yes ottos do pretty well in small tanks. They are a little happier when there are three (or more) of them and that only equals the mass of about one platy. The plants can be confusing. But you don’t have to learn it all at once. I like Anubis a lot. They grow real slow though, so get a big one if you can. Tie it to a rock and sink it somewhere pretty.

As far as how often to test the water... 1 opinion is every day for two weeks, then every week for a month, then every month ... but no fish = doesn't matter. Another person i've talked to only tested his water when the fish behavior became erratic -- for example if they start gulping air at the surface or reddened gills check ammonia level pronto.

Pecktec said:
Just keep in mind that once it’s cycled you don’t have to do water changes like that. If you can get some filter material (or gravel ) from another tank it will help a lot. I have a bunch of tanks with bio wheels and when I started my last tank I "rigged" it to spin around and "seed" my new tank with bacteria. Worked in about 9 days. Sometimes the process takes several weeks. Part of doing the testing is to let you know where you are in the process. One last thing I can’t say enough about the benefits of plants in an aquarium. They work like a filter (to a small degree) in the water also. If you want to see how I added bacteria to my tank click on my shameless YouTube plug here. http://youtu.be/8lhOXJpMD5w

I know its frustrating for people to tell you you’re being silly. :banghead: But science is on your side here. The more or less than 50% water change is hotly debated here and elsewhere. The main thing is that 1 it’s been de-chlorinated and 2 the temperature is very close to the water temp inside the tank already. The reason for this I was told was because it makes minimal changes to their environment. But you can do two separate 25% changes and get close to the same result. This is just my opinion. Truth is there is very little bacteria in the water itself, so pulling a lot out won’t hurt the biological process unless you get chlorine in there with the new water. If that happens you’re starting over.

Seems like the Biowheel is sideways in the youtube video, thus not allowing air contact. A+ for ingenuity, but you could have just tossed it in loose since they float.

Besides temperature shock, i'm told not adjust pH more than 0.2 per day, hence the smaller changes. Of course, I KNOW my tap water is heavily buffered naturally and pH rarely changes so I could get away with a 90% water change, but if your water source is inconsistent, sticking to 10% is a safer bet.

EGMono said:
Seems like the Biowheel is sideways in the youtube video, thus not allowing air contact. A+ for ingenuity, but you could have just tossed it in loose since they float.

Besides temperature shock, i'm told not adjust pH more than 0.2 per day, hence the smaller changes. Of course, I KNOW my tap water is heavily buffered naturally and pH rarely changes so I could get away with a 90% water change, but if your water source is inconsistent, sticking to 10% is a safer bet.

It was sideways and not as effective as if it was mounted as intended. But what I did was put it near the water coming out of the filter and it rotated cockeyed so some of it was getting air and then water. But yes I bet it wasn't a lot better than floating it just a fun project. Next time I'm using Legos!

It was sideways and not as effective as if it was mounted as intended. But what I did was put it near the water coming out of the filter and it rotated cockeyed so some of it was getting air and then water. But yes I bet it wasn't a lot better than floating it just a fun project. Next time I'm using Legos!

I've never thought to check to see if Lego makes clear blocks to construct a tank out of, but I'm pretty sure I saw them at the Lego store in Downtown Disney. Of course you could add the blocks INSIDE the tank (Google "Lego fishbowl") Pirates of the Caribbean lego pirates? Natch! ;)

I've never thought to check to see if Lego makes clear blocks to construct a tank out of, but I'm pretty sure I saw them at the Lego store in Downtown Disney. Of course you could add the blocks INSIDE the tank (Google "Lego fishbowl") Pirates of the Caribbean lego pirates? Natch! ;)

Someone actually contacted Lego to make sure that they're aquarium safe. They are! :lol:

jenatron said:
Someone actually contacted Lego to make sure that they're aquarium safe. They are! :lol:

Anything designed to be passed safely through a child's digestive system should be. They say there are something like 30 safety rules to build something for NASA, and *300* to make a child's toy. :)

Now i'm curious to price out 2-3 "starter sets", plus 2-3 "expansion packs", plus a sheet of glass for the front and several cases of aquarium sealant... :D

Back
Top Bottom