North Carolina Noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklids

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Been around aquariums for a long time, but just getting back into it and starting off with a 55g Cichlid (SA) tank. Those are some angry little suckers! Do not mess with their territory! :p

I started off with a little fin rot and Melafix'ed that, then moved on to ich and cooked the water for awhile and hit it with Quick Cure, then a sweet algea bloom that clouded the tank, and a weird burst of ammonia that came back every time I fed them frozen brine shrmp. I put some shrimp in a glass to test the water, and sure enough, massive ammonia. No idea if that's normal, but still re-learning about all these things. Hey, it sounds like I'm well on my way into the fun! lol

I've posted up some tank pics. It runs dual filters, a Magnum 350, and a Tetra 60 primarily to keep a bio system running full time.

First off welcome to AA! This site is packed with knowledgable aquarists who love to learn, educate and have fun doing these things!

The first thing I would like to recommend to you would be to change your method of filtration. I would upgrade your Hang On Back (HOB) filter to an AquaClear or 70 or a Fluval canister filter, or both :D your magnum is more of a water polisher rather than a filter, so I would step up to the AC70 for more efficient biological filtration to kill that ammonia on the spot. And it could be the ammonia that clouds the water.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom