Not new to 10g but new to high elev/can't keep fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitin35

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,First time post. Been trying to get my 10g freshwater going since 7/15/11. Longest running fish have been 2months. Pet store has hard water, I have soft but currently using the best recommended water for our city. All water levels are perfect (nitrates, nitrites, pH, alkalinity, no acid). We are stumped. I acclimate the fish in the bag for 10 minutes the poke a hole in the first bag (it's double bagged) and slowly add water to help with acclimating. I do this for the next ten minutes. Then I let the fish into the tank and they are fine for the next few days.
After a few days one or both will stop eating. They will stay at the top of the tank until the light is off then swim around a bit but not much. Soon after they die off with no visible signs of why they died.
We have tried many different ways of acclimating, buying fish that we know have survived at the store awhile, different kinds of fish (mollies, platys, goldfish, tetras, etc). We have the best heater, filter (3 stage filter) and a clean tank.
I hope I included everything.

When you say your water levels are perfect, what are the exact numbers?

Are you using strips or liquid tests?

Strips are hopelessly inaccurate.

Jon

Hi, we've used both. Strips first then liquid. Water tests great.

What does that mean that you use the best recommended water for your city?

Many of your fish have not been appropriate species for this size tank. Not saying that's why you're losing them, but it could have a hand in it.

What are your EXACT readings using what I assume is the API master kit?

If there was that much difference between your water and that of your lfs, then your acclimation time wasn't nearly long enough. You would've had to do drip acclimation.

I am using test strips. On the test strips my numbers are
Ammonia 0
Nitrate-20
Nitrite-0
Hardness 75
chlorine 0
PH- 7.0

As for the API test the numbers are
PH-7.2
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrate-5.0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm

Our cities tap water has a lot of chemicals that does not allow us to keep fish alive in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom