Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Novice freshwater tropical fishkeeper looking to dive deeper

Hi! Iíve kept fish off and on from childhood onward, but itís only in the last couple years Iíve gotten serious about doing it well (after realizing how bad I was doing!)

I have one active 20-gallon tropical freshwater tank with an undersized mixed school of small tetras. Itís about as simple as tanks come, and I want to spruce it up before adding a couple more tetras to the school. Iím looking into adding some live low-light, low-maintenance plants to improve the tetra neighborhood, and possibly a few bottom-dwelling fish, shrimp, or little aquatic frogs.

My favorite fish, though, are bettas with their funky personalities and interactivity. Iím planning a 10-15 gallon tank to eventually house a betta and possibly some little invertebrates like cherry shrimp or snails. It will be my first aquascape, and Iím very excited to improve my aquarist skills with this new challenge. Iíll be asking lots of questions to help me!

In the not-near future, Iíd love to try pea puffers, but Iíll have my hands full with my tetras and my aquascape project for a while.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Stick with the easier plants and they can be simple and amazing! It is not as much a problem if you don't have a too strong light and use low light plants like some Cryptocorynes like red, bronze, green, parva those mentioned in the Beta hardscaping thread, and so many varieties, shapes, colors and sizes of Anubias, I really like A. Coffeefolia, A. nana petite and A. Micro.

Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae), Dwarf Sagittaria or Dwarf Vallisenaria. These are low close to the front of the tank.

And my favorite long plant is Balansae Plant (Cryptocoryne crispatula).

Another easy one is the African Water Fern aka Bolbitis heudelotii, gets big once it gets it's sweet spot. People love to trade things or buy pieces of it and it isn't seen in stores very often.

It is easy to get these plants to be happy in the aquarium for almost all community tank water parameters.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, fish, fresh, freshwater, pic, tropical, tropical fish, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com