Old timer returning to hobby with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaseycorrea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my first aquarium back in 1956 or thereabouts. The person I got my first fish from had a 10-gallon tank sitting on a coffee table with no lights, no heat, no filter, TONS of val growing in it and the most gorgeous guppys you have every seen. She never did anything to the tank but feed them. My hobby grew, adding filters, heaters, lights, for a number of years but got out of the hobby in the mid 1960's due to lack of time.

Now I'm trying to learn all the new stuff. Wow, instead of just checking for two things in the water, now there's a whole list. I'm setting up an old 10 gallon, with substrate for the plants, power filter, new lighting, new heater, got the air pumps rebuilt and working, just about to add water and plants but I'm stymied by these dang blackouts in California. I'm thinking about getting one of those "battery backups" they sell for computers to plug in the heater and pump to. Does anybody have any experience with them? They might turn the power off for up to 12 hours here. Trying to find something that might keep that from wiping out my tank.

Back
Top Bottom