Oldie Newbie or Newbie Oldie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sushiray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello aqua friends! As the title states I could be either!

I actually started the hobby over 40yrs ago!! a little 10gal. tank & stand special (metallic brush gold aluminum!!) from of all places?! Macy's!! Yep! for those NY'er's old enough to remember - at Queens Center when dept. stores had a pet shop. I kept a lot of fish (a newbie no no) including angels that spawned with a red tiger oscar roaming the tank, a kisser gouramie which had a very bad habit of kissing too much! albino catfish (which I fell in love at 1st sight!) & algae eater, neons, swordtails. but my favorite were my silver dollars! they were fast & furious!

I continued on for 17yrs, then took a hiatus for couple of years, restarted for 2yrs then been absent for the past 13yrs! just picked up the "sport" again this past april (thus the title newbie oldie) & did another newbie no no!

one day with my kids in tow, I had the sudden urge to buy a 20gal starter tank package from petsmart. This was not the bad part. I also bought 3 baby silver dollars, 1 bala 1 redtail 1 rainbow 1albino sharks, 3 albino corys, 2 bloodfins 1 reg.pleco & started up the same day! w/o cycling the tank! I just used the water conditioner, waited an hr. then had them all "dive" in!

the salesperson warned me against doing this even tho I insisted (yes I was one of those customers you hear about from LFS salespeople!) - said I will lose many.

well to my surprise & theirs they all survived for 2 months. but one thing lead to another & I now only have my 2 albino corys (now big & fat!). how I lost them is another thread story - but briefly, I had a fin rot disease that swept thru my corys, used jungle fizz tablets & not realizing I needed to increase aeration (no such warning on the package) I found almost all my fish gasping at the surface, but surprisingly the corys were not gasping (including adding 13babies), just shooting to the surface a lot.

The silver $'s my prize possession raised from nickel size to twice the size of silver $'s all suffocated. the bala & albino were gasping wheezing but they survived (after I placed an airstone & increase filtration flow). all the albino corys survived also.

that was the major ordeal. :(

so now I just started a discus tank & received 8 BN oh so cute baby baby sized plecos (2 of them albinos). so far so good.

but this may be another mistake - I just added a baby baby oh so cute royal pleco. I know they will grow big (but I plan on moving it to another tank when it gets to 3-4", right now it's an inch). so far so good. just hope it doesn't bother my discus.

as for how I was introduced to the pleco (or as we called it growing up & now my kids - sucker fish) dad bought it one day to add to my 10gal tank.

thks all for reading my long bio! :D

oldie newbie's tank size

Welcome to AA! Sorry for all your losses. How many gallons is the discus tank? Oh, and by the way, we like lots of pics!

bought a 72gal bowfront off CL. now have 15 stendker discus (one each of his strains).

will attempt to post pics soon - I do need to download my other photos 1st of kids.

thks for the greeting. :)

sorry about your loss those were great fish luckily u still have the albino ,the balas and the corries.welcome 2 AA

Back
Top Bottom