Oscar info needed please,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingfisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 tiger oscars roughly 5mnths old everything was fine up to 3 weeks ago but now they just lie on the bottom of there tank and at times they go on there sides, I have alsorts about this saying it can be a natural thing or that oscars are a lazy fish but I just need it clarified of someone who as oscars or who really does know what they are talking about. They feed ok and when I open the lid they swim up but soon fall back down to the bottom. I have a jewel 140 litre. Bow fronted tank so I have plenty of space for them and I'm running a fluval 303 external along with the juwel internal filter. Thank you. Any help will be much appreciated, I don't want to lose my fish. Ps. I have tested the phone and it's fine.

The problem is your tank size. It is not big enough for one oscar let alone 3. The water quality will not be able to be kept good. You need to do large 75%or more daily water changes until you can get a larger tank. 200 gallons if you want to try to keep all 3 which won't happen. It's next to impossible to get 3 oscars to live together once they get close to maturity. It's hard to get 2 to live together unless they're a mated pair. You need a minimum 55 gallon for one oscar a 75 is better. Even when they are small. They are huge bio load fish. If you can't get a larger tank soon, like with in days, then you will need to rehome them. They will not live for long like this. Trust me, I'm an oscar guy and this is not a sustainable situation. They are suffering probably due to high ammonia as well as the definite high nitrates.

My water temp is at 75 ezy thanks for your reply. And munre thanks for your valuable comments. It looks like I'm gonna have to rehome them because at the moment I can't afford a bigger tank, the aquarium I bought them as given me me a number steer regarding tank size and Oscar limits, not a happy man at all.

I mentioned to say the aquarium I purchased the tank as given me big lie regarding tank size and how many oscars I can keep. Thanks again

Fish stores will do that I went into a shop yesterday and saw a black shark for sale the freshwater fish on there sign it said they grow to 6cm.... That's 54cm off they will do anything for a sale I mean look at the gold fish bowls they sell a Gallon bowl and some rocks for a gold fish that will grow 10inches

:( lol very true daryl my brother as had oscars before so I was silly to get the smaller tank knowing the size they grow to, and was even more stupid buying the 3 oscars. :banghead:

The problem is your tank size. It is not big enough for one oscar let alone 3. The water quality will not be able to be kept good. You need to do large 75%or more daily water changes until you can get a larger tank. 200 gallons if you want to try to keep all 3 which won't happen. It's next to impossible to get 3 oscars to live together once they get close to maturity. It's hard to get 2 to live together unless they're a mated pair. You need a minimum 55 gallon for one oscar a 75 is better. Even when they are small. They are huge bio load fish. If you can't get a larger tank soon, like with in days, then you will need to rehome them. They will not live for long like this. Trust me, I'm an oscar guy and this is not a sustainable situation. They are suffering probably due to high ammonia as well as the definite high nitrates.
Hi munroe. Sorry for mothering you, I have found the bill for my tank and it says on there I purchased a juwel 190 trigon. 190 litre water capacity where I said it was 145 in my main post, is 190 still to small for the 3 oscars, what would be your best advice please....

**** I'm learning now, I love my Oscars and it's looking like there gonna have to go

Wish you could keep them I love oscars too I really wanted one and my LFS tried selling me one for my 60 liter tank :/

I'm at a loss at the moment, I know I shouldn't have the 3 together but ivfound the bill for my tank. Which I stated was only 145 litre but the receipt tells me it's a juwel 190 190 litre so I'm hoping munroe sees this who keeps oscars and let's me know if I would be okay to keep 2 of my fish and rehome just 1 of them..

I think minimum size is meant to be 75 gallon people keep them in 55 gal tanks to I think 55 is like 210 litres or something what's the foot print of your tank?

With it being a bow fronted tank its awkward to measure but iv done me best, across the front it is 50 inch depth it is 28 inches and from front over tank to the far corner where the internal filter is situated its 30 inches inside the tank to the back corner. If that makes any sense to you..

That tanks not going to work you need to get a 150 gallon tank minimum for 3 oscars. I agree with everything already said just rehome them and get a smaller cichlid species or set up a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom