Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
25 gal
Planted, driftwood and large pebbles for hiding places

- 7 neons
- 2 corys
- 2 platy
- 5 danio
- 1 Betta
- 1 sucking loach (soon to be gone as he's getting v aggressive!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, I think it's fine, but other people may not think so. Can you send a picture?

Less fish than I have in my 25 gallon. I think your fine but as the post above stated some people are too cautious about stocking. Just make sure you check water levels and do frequent water changes and your fine.

Sounds ok but stocking is something you want to be careful about. There are rules of thumb some people believe in and some people put all their trust into aqadvisor.com which is a nice site to get a baseline feel but really only you can know if you are overstocked. Look at your tank. Does it look like fish are all over the place and can't swim without bumping into another fish? Or can the fish find places that don't have others around to hide and graze on biofilm/ algae? I tend to UNDERstock and like the look that comes with it. FAR less hectic than a tank stocked to the maximum even if aqadvisor says it's ok. Lightly stocking also gives you some leeway with the amount of water changes you have to do even though I still advise 50% of the tanks volume every two weeks. (y)

Water levels are fine and I do 30% changes weekly :) just need to get rid of that loach!

Overstocking is a big word in new tanks .... Rule of thumb shouldn't need to do weekly water changes on tropical tank , if you have good flow rate should be ok .. If you want to keep on with the weekly changes go to local fish shop and get some bactalife or any live bacteria so you can replace the bacteria you are taking out .. Bio overload it's a big thing and ammonia is a tank keepers worse enemy ... Just keep the good bacteria up so it can help filter to eat away the ammonia and maybe if your nitrates /nitrites look at feeding amounts .. Everyone gives good advice... And I agree with everything people say just try a few things and get your own feel for it .. I run 2 tanks and instantly know just by looking that something is not right .. You can only get this by trial and error and spending time on here looking for answers

Back
Top Bottom