Plant lover new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How's it going I love searching this site so much I had to join. My wife won some goldfish at a carnival and asked me to help her, I started to read up on the web and this site kept coming up with all the best info. Three months later I've taken over the tank, found a love for ghost shrimp and tank plants and now I'm here to learn about anything I can. Also I hate algae and I'm looking to get it off my plants, once I figure the site out I'll post the pics of my BBa looking algae smothering my plants. Thanks for having me on the site and can't wait to gain some knowledge!

I have a five gallon with ghost shrimp and some anacharis, cambobomb? ( how misspelled is that?) and one amazon sword.
I have a 1.5 gal nursery tank with ghost shrimp fry, baby bladder snails ( I kinda like 'um) , one marimo ball and a java fern that I'm letting fill out so I can split the rhizome.
Lastly I have a twenty gallon with five juvie common goldfish, another amazon sword, a small cutting of sword that rooted, a bunch of aponogeton hybrid plants from walmart.
I won't know if any tank is cycled until tomorrow when I get a API master test kit.
I know to change the water a bunch until it is, didn't have the opportunity to do fishless cycles as the goldfish out grew the five the second I put them in there :).
Plants I wanna get other than the ones I have are maybe a star moss or any kind of moss really and some more stuff for my ghosties to scavenge in.

I have a five gallon with ghost shrimp and some anacharis, cambobomb? ( how misspelled is that?) and one amazon sword.
I have a 1.5 gal nursery tank with ghost shrimp fry, baby bladder snails ( I kinda like 'um) , one marimo ball and a java fern that I'm letting fill out so I can split the rhizome.
Lastly I have a twenty gallon with five juvie common goldfish, another amazon sword, a small cutting of sword that rooted, a bunch of aponogeton hybrid plants from walmart.
I won't know if any tank is cycled until tomorrow when I get a API master test kit.
I know to change the water a bunch until it is, didn't have the opportunity to do fishless cycles as the goldfish out grew the five the second I put them in there :).
Plants I wanna get other than the ones I have are maybe a star moss or any kind of moss really and some more stuff for my ghosties to scavenge in.

The 5 commons in a 20g is going to overload very quickly and you should look at getting a much bigger tank or rehome some of them IMO. Rule of thumb for goldies is 20g for the first one and 10g for each additional one.

Here'a link to help you with a fish in cycle: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Is the common Goldfish rule for them as of right now or mature common goldfish? The five I have now are likely no more than three inches each.

Atxpunx said:
Is the common Goldfish rule for them as of right now or mature common goldfish? The five I have now are likely no more than three inches each.

They'll grow rather quickly, especially commons. Waste is the other issue, not mention stunting.

Back
Top Bottom