Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladybug1968

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been reading posts before but my first time joining. I have five platys, three red eyed tetras, two zebra danios and I see two baby platys in a fifteen gallon. One of my platys looks like he's missing scales in one area. My friend was over yesterday and he seems to think that my tetras are bullying my platys. Would they be doing this to the platy. Advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the community. I've never known Red-eyed tetras to be aggressive, but I suppose it's possible. Does your tank have enough decor to provide line-of-sight breaks so the bullied fish can get away from each other? Also, tetras (and danios) prefer to be in larger groups than you have. Sometimes fish that are in a too small group are stressed and that can lead to aggression. IMO, rehome the 2 danios and add 2-3 more red-eyed teras.

Welcome to AA
I raise platys with swordtails, tetras, danios, corys, and a gourami. Have never had red eyes, on my bucket list though, but believe they can be fin nippers so it's possible.

Ehh, I seriously doubt the red-eyes attacked the platy: you'd see nipped fins for one thing, I should think. More likely it bashed itself against something --gravel, rocks, decor-- and scraped itself. Just keep a watch on it to make sure an infection doesn't start.

:welcome: , by the way. :)

If I recall it has been a long time back now I had a group of these probably 5-6 and they were aggressive to my other fish. They got a new home.

Ive seen the term red eye tetra in stores be used for different species of tetra..

lady...

Fish in general will become aggressive if they feel crowded. A 15 G tank is really too small for a bullied fish to avoid others. Platys really need more space. A 30 G is the minimum for a fast breeder like a Platy. I keep larger, livebearing fish in larger tanks, heavily planted with floating plants. This allows less aggressive fish to avoid the bullies.

B

Back
Top Bottom