please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had all size fish tanks and I have not had this happen. I got a 180 gal. tank.In the tank there are about 9 stordtails 3 siliverdollars,3 paco.3 angles 11 tetas and red tail shark a large high fin shark he's about 12"long that is why a got this tank.The tank has been set up for 5 months.I have a UGF a 110 filter on the back.the water is a little cloudy I have changed about 25% 3 times but the water is'nt clear.I have had tanks and I have not had this happen.But this is a big tank.If I get a canister filter would that help:confused:

debbie2 said:
I have had all size fish tanks and I have not had this happen. I got a 180 gal. tank.In the tank there are about 9 stordtails 3 siliverdollars,3 paco.3 angles 11 tetas and red tail shark a large high fin shark he's about 12"long that is why a got this tank.The tank has been set up for 5 months.I have a UGF a 110 filter on the back.the water is a little cloudy I have changed about 25% 3 times but the water is'nt clear.I have had tanks and I have not had this happen.But this is a big tank.If I get a canister filter would that help:confused:

Hi and welcome. Is it white cloudy or green cloudy. It may be a bacteria bloom which will clear on it's own. I would consider getting a new filter to work with your other filters. It is a big tank with big fish and will need a lot of filtration. I am not familiar with some of the fish you have stocked but others will have some good advise to give you. (like above) I am assuming you know about cycling so I won't go into detail about that.

Welcome to AA! :)

What media are you running in the 110? You may be able to pack it with filter floss to clear the water. It may also be a sign that it is time to clean the UGF.

Thank You Im running what came with the 110 I have replaced the charcoal and the white things.I did a 30%water change today.I was having problems with two new powerhead I have them work great and the tank looks good. i will go and get the filter floss and see if that works.Thank you Again:flowers: And the UGF I have allways used this in all my other tanks in the pass and never cleaned them.I didn't kown you should.

If you replaced the media (white things) in the filter, then you have gotten rid of the benficial bacteria in your tank - When you moved to the bigger tank, did you bring over the same gravel, or did you get new gravel? Did you rinse it in tap water? All of these things make a biological filter that is needed to keep the water safe for fish.

Your safest bet is to go to an fish store RIGHT NOW and buy a test kit that contains test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and tell us these numbers. Try and avoid Strip tests, and go for the liquid one. Ammonia and Nitrite should be zero. Nitrate should be below 40ppm.

sudz said:
If you replaced the media (white things) in the filter, then you have gotten rid of the benficial bacteria in your tank - When you moved to the bigger tank, did you bring over the same gravel, or did you get new gravel? Did you rinse it in tap water? All of these things make a biological filter that is needed to keep the water safe for fish.

Your safest bet is to go to an fish store RIGHT NOW and buy a test kit that contains test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and tell us these numbers. Try and avoid Strip tests, and go for the liquid one. Ammonia and Nitrite should be zero. Nitrate should be below 40ppm.

+1 tests kits are an essential.

Back
Top Bottom