Please respond if possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

materbona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi--me again...I am the person with the 3 low ph tanks..any suggestions at all from anyone? I would really appreciate any advice. Had such a long post because I had to explain how the tanks were not that different..... very confusing:huh::confused:

Hi--me again...I am the person with the 3 low ph tanks..any suggestions at all from anyone? I would really appreciate any advice. Had such a long post because I had to explain how the tanks were not that different..... very confusing:huh::confused:

What type tank do you have??:fish2:

I have 7 tanks, 3 have this problem. If you look at my earlier post I describe them all. can't figure it out....just lost a few guppies... then started checking ph----all tanks in place for 2 years...no problems

Water Chemistry

Hello mat...

If you've tested the pH and it's between 6 and 8.5, you have no problems. Just change out the water regularly to maintain a steady water chemistry. Most fish you get at the pet store will adapt to most public water supplies. Just treat the new water to remove chlorine and chloramine. Seachem's "Safe" is a good product.

B

Just a thought. Try checking your Kh. If it is below 6 then you may be subject to acid crashes. I add bicarbonate of soda to bring my tap water (Kh 0-1) up to 6. My Ph is stable despite the best efforts of my Co2 injection to drop it. It's cheap and effective. I find 2.5 ml of bicarb to 10l water does the trick, but add it to your regular WCs and not direct into the tank, the Ph may rise too dramatically otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi..thanks so much...I'm confused about the directions. I am waiting for my test strips to come to check tap Kh. So you use baking soda....but a liquid form? I don't understand 2.5 ml of bicarb--is that liquid? Also to is it 10 liters of water???How much is that???? like do you mix it all up beforehand? I wouldn't be able to store that much or "lift" it? So how do you add to aquarium? Can't you just mix a bit and slowly pour it in while adding the water change? I would need to treat my 15 gal column tank (I'd be changing out 4 or 5 gal), my little 5 gal tank (changing out about 1.5 gal) and my 46 gal (changing out about 12 gal). Thanks for all your advice!

Hi.
Bicarb is a powder. I use a baking spoon measure of 2.5 ml (flattened not heaped). It's half a teaspoon.
10 litres of water (sorry, we Brits have been pushed into metric measures) is about 2.5 US gallons.
I mix the bicarb with the water at the tap, it's about one bucket full and then add the water to the tank. If your using a hose or python then I suppose you could slowly drizzle some dissolved bicarb into the tank as the new water goes in. I have not done this but bicarb dissolves very easily so I can't see a problem.

I didn't read everybody's response but I use seashells in my fishtanks to raise the pH. Haven't had any issues for a long time with a bi weekly water change for all my tanks.

I agree with using a more natural method of gradually buffering your water with sea shells. I have been doing the opposite, using wood to buffer as we have very hard water.

Crushed Coral substrate works in some cases to raise PH. But def check your water chemistry as was suggested. pH is only part of the picture.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom