Pokemon fan with a Fluval Chi 5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrainerRed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, new to this forum, it looked helpful so I thought I'd go ahead and register.

I've owned a beta fish in the past, and currently own a Leapord Gecko and a dog. I don't like the dog.

My mom saw fit to go buy a Fluval Chi and proceeded to not maintain it for 6 months. Now that I'm in charge of the tank, I'm going to try my best not to lose any more fish. (We lost 4 neons, 2 mickey fish, and a rainbow shark. They weren't all in there at the same time.)

As of now, the tank has been clean for a week and half and I'm cleaning it regularly and watching it close. We only have 2 Black Skirt/Widow Tetras in there right now, probably gonna get 2-4 more tetras in by the end of the month.

Still new to this, I haven't owned the Beta since I was 6, so I'll take all the help I can get.

Rule 1:The pet stores lie, and mislabel the fish apparently.

Attachments

• 20111105224328.jpg
    20111105224328.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 81
Welcome to :AA:! There are lots of helpful voices around here, who will help on re-stocking. Nice to hear you are concerned about the maintenance too.
I have to say that some LFS do "lie" or bend truths in order to sell you fish and products, however some shops can be very helpful and knowledgable, you just have to find the right one first.
The best way is to research your fish before you go looking, so you know what kind of fish you are looking for and don't get side tracked with fish too large for your tank. Most people have a look at the fish and decide on a pretty fish with no idea on its correct tank size and tank mates or water conditions, so research research research before you go shopping.

Did you clean out the whole tank? I assume given its been neglected it's cycled but just needs proper care to get it up to standard for fish?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :3

Did you clean out the whole tank? I assume given its been neglected it's cycled but just needs proper care to get it up to standard for fish?

I did. I Rinsed the gravel in small handfuls in hot water, scrubbed down the sides, sprayed with a hose, soaped, and then made sure to rinse the soap out. Cleaned out the filter, rinsed that icky grass at the bottom, then filled it with tap water (de-chlorinated of course) and let it cycle before buying the Black Skirt/Widow Tetras. I've got a gravel vacuum that I use to clean the bottom/drain 20-40% of the water every couple of days. I've got a good friend who's walking me through it, but any help I can get would be be awesome XD

I'll probably go make a new topic in the freshwater section sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom