Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Poorly Redcap oranda goldfish

Hi guys

I have a wee redcap fish, I have had him for a year now but recently he has been very strange, his swimming is a bit off. He doesnt seem to swim properly, he floats and sometimes goes upside down. I checked online and I think it may be swim bladder. I have taken him out the big tank and put him into a smaller tub in my room where I can keep an eye on him, im not going to feed him for a day or two but I am fairly new to keeping these types of fish, he was gifted to me by a family member and I love him, do you know if there's anything else I should be doing or if I am even doing the right thing?
I have ordered separate food for him in case its his diet, I have also ordered a ph checker, should I be doing anything else?
Thank you in advance

Old 12-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel82 View Post
Hi guys

I have a wee redcap fish, I have had him for a year now but recently he has been very strange, his swimming is a bit off. He doesnt seem to swim properly, he floats and sometimes goes upside down. I checked online and I think it may be swim bladder. I have taken him out the big tank and put him into a smaller tub in my room where I can keep an eye on him, im not going to feed him for a day or two but I am fairly new to keeping these types of fish, he was gifted to me by a family member and I love him, do you know if there's anything else I should be doing or if I am even doing the right thing?
I have ordered separate food for him in case its his diet, I have also ordered a ph checker, should I be doing anything else?
Thank you in advance
Hello, have you been feeding your goldie any vegetables. Most of time but not always swim bladder is affected by constipation from dry foods.
There are several vegetables that I feed my goldie's. Boiled peas w/shell removed & smashed between fingers or they will try to eat whole. Boiled broccoli, which is messy & can make tank smell for a little while. Par boiled zucchini, 2"pieces split in half & sunk w/fork. Raw cucumber split & sunk like zucchini. I usually feed some type of veggie 3-4 x wkly.
This would be my first go to after fasting. If this doesn't work, I'd go to epsom salt baths & then to meds. Hope this helps you!!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200311_063235784.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	318840

Old 12-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, have you been feeding your goldie any vegetables. Most of time but not always swim bladder is affected by constipation from dry foods.
There are several vegetables that I feed my goldie's. Boiled peas w/shell removed & smashed between fingers or they will try to eat whole. Boiled broccoli, which is messy & can make tank smell for a little while. Par boiled zucchini, 2"pieces split in half & sunk w/fork. Raw cucumber split & sunk like zucchini. I usually feed some type of veggie 3-4 x wkly.
This would be my first go to after fasting. If this doesn't work, I'd go to epsom salt baths & then to meds. Hope this helps you!!!!! Attachment 318840
Thank you so much for your reply, i hadn't been giving him any vegetables, just goldfish flakes but after looking online I have ordered specific food for this species, but I have heard the peas is a good thing and I will definitely be trying that.

Tags
cap, fish, gold, goldfish, oranda, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com