Pregnant or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaisyWife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have new guppies. 2 of them have bigger bellies and are darker. The guppies are orange and the bellies are almost bluish. Could they be pregnant?

Teir chest should become squared, sure sign they are due.

image-2547733823.jpg

image-3025844021.jpg

image-2717342459.jpg

These are the pictures of the fish that i think might be pregnant. 2 of the pictures are the same fish.

Congratulations! You're gonna be a grandma! Not for a little while though...

They look like they still have -/+ 2 weeks to go? Ish?

The guppies will eat the babies, maybe even the neons too, hard for fish to enjoy a live meal I can imagine.. So if you don't want to raise them, leave 'em in and maybe a few will grow up. I you do, you can tuber ware them until you can buy a tiny tank.

But yes, defiantly pregnant.

How do I do this. If I want to keep them. When do I take the mommas out of the tank? How long can they love in the Tupperware? How old do the fir have to be before they go back into the tank?

How I have done it in the past, is when you think she so close to giving birth, (sluggish, slow swimming patterns, vertical swimming, and her spot beneath her anal fin is large) I cup her, (I had a mamma molly abort because I used a net once...) instead use the net to guide her into the cup filled with water.

If your tank is big enough, I would use established tank water in the smaller container/tank. The fry will need a heater, an Airstone and a small filter, preferably a sponge filter so they don't get sucked up in it.

After mamma is done, ( she will start swimming around like crazy hungry swimming, return her to he main tank, or she will eat the babies.

Another option is buying a breeder box that floats in your main tank so the big fish won't eat them, so you don't have to buy a separate set up.
Often times this is very stressful on the momma and the babies. So I recommend a separate smaller tank/container.

Any other questions?

Raising fry is hard work. But it's really rewarding. :)

Back
Top Bottom